The Pledge Drive Curse
Remember how I said I made it through that sinus infection? Well I did, but apparently on the other end of that infection was a cold. It's the pledge drive curse. Every six months we have this really stressful 8 days at work and every six months I get a bad cold/flu the week or so before the drive that makes it impossible for me to get anything done.
The 80's Movie Montage Curse
Also? If your husband wants a snack after midnight and it involves any food that comes in a package that includes any combination of the words "olé," "spicy coating" or "hot," JUST SAY NO!! I, of course, said "Wow, those are good. Are there any more?"
I'm not smart. I also should not be exposed to bright light or water.
Then I had a dream about Andrew McCarthy. He's dreamy. (I've also heard that he's gay - not that there's anything wrong with that, other than the fact that it ruins the "someday he'll show up at my door and declare his love for me and only me" fantasy I've had since I was thirteen).
The good news is that I seriously doubt that anything that is wrong with me is contagious.
The bad news is that I feel a lot like Bill Paxton's character at the end of Weird Science.
Only without the cigar. Yuck.
The Second Sock Curse
I cast on that stupid monkey five times. Yup. Five. Then I finally made it through the (oh so tricky k1tbl, p1) ribbing and then had to rip back the sock part three times before I finally got that right. Seriously. I spent most of the evening knitting last night and I have about an inch and a half of sock.
Apparently if you let yourself fall victim to the second sock syndrome, even for a week (or three) the second sock gets pissed.
The Educational Irony Curse
I am firmly at the halfway point in my social work degree and I am realizing that the thing that really is interesting to me is the chemical makeup and reactions of the brain. That really isn't so much a social worker thing as a psychiatrist thing. The irony? When I was in 7th grade I wanted to be a psychiatrist.
That lasted until I got a D in chemistry as a sophomore. Then I wanted to be a psychologist. That lasted until I woke up one morning early in my last year of high school when I decided that what I really wanted to do was teach. That lasted until the third week of college English when we had to exchange papers with our group and critique each other's papers and I realized that you really could graduate from high school and get into college without the ability to put two sentences together.
Now? I want to take classes about psychopharmachology and the chemistry and anatomy of the brain. These classes exist. For graduate students in biology and chemistry.
Wednesday, October 10, 2007
Curses
Posted by J. Denae at 11:53 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Andrew married his high school
sweetheart and has at least one
child - met him years ago when
he made the movie Kansas and
wondered then if he would ever survive all of the drinking, etc.
Hee. I know what you mean about the changing professions. I just haven't gotten as far as going back to school for any of my (ever-changing) dream jobs.
I got a massive, head-consuming cold one week before I gave birth to each of my four kids. I think those must be akin to your pledge drive colds.
I have a similar second sock curse--if I start a new pair of socks after finishing only one, the new pair will have many, many mistakes. I'll drop stitches, make silly mistakes, etc. I have to be monogamous--the second pattern won't work.
And I had a massive career change a few years ago. I am not a social worker, but gave it serious consideration.
Your Dishcloth Swap Pal
Post a Comment