Stupid little heat-trapping box of death. I swear to god. It was still 85 degrees at one in the morning inside my house. I gave up and turned the thermostat back up to 75 where it usually lives when we're home. It was finally cool enough for me in the bedroom (under the fan) by four or five. My husband went out for a bit last night and when he came home he said he was going to make a snack and then come to be to snuggle for awhile. My first thought was "Are you crazy?!? Do you want to die from heat exhaustion?!?" I was almost comfortable alone with the fan on high and the lights off. He tends to radiate heat - great in the winter, not so great in the summer. He made some little gesture that indicated he might want the snuggling to "progress" and I sat up, turned on the bedside lamp and said, "Unless you come to bed with a hundred or so frozen Otter Pops strapped to your body you'd better stay far, far away from me." He thought that was pretty funny.
But no Otter Pops.
He DID, however, come and let me show him some houses online. He is starting to get used to the idea that I'm not going to abandon this whole house thing - especially now that a bank has agreed to a specific amount. It's funny, though. The houses that we are interested in fall into two categories: "Wow what a great house, do you have to actually join the neighborhood gang? Or can we just pay them not to kill us?" and "Wow, what a sweet neighborhood, and look at that closet - oh is that the kitchen/dining room/living room?? My bad!"
There is one little yellow house that we like. It has two bedrooms and we were hoping for three, but it's in a nice neighborhood, has a big back yard and a huge kitchen with more cabinets than you can count and actual cabinet space. Thinking about buying a two bedroom house, though, is just another admission of defeat. Going back on the pill is not nearly as "final" as buying a smaller house than we would need for another baby. I know that it's over. I know that there are a lot of reasons to embrace the whole Bean-is-an-only-child thing, but nobody likes to let go. And I have been having pregnancy dreams. That's just not right.
But enough of that. The three-bedroom house that I am absolutely in love with is in a "transitional" neighborhood and it's on a pretty busy street, and although he's not thrilled about the location, the built in shelves and hardwood floors have convinced the husband to at least look at it.
Here's the thing. I want a little space, I want a larger kitchen, I want a yard my kid can play in without me worrying so much. I want a nice yard. I would LOVE a covered porch and a basement that doesn't leak but I think that might be asking for too much.
So far, my favorite part of this whole online house hunt is that some houses are shown with window-unit air conditioners. When it's still over a hundred degrees at eleven at night and the air conditioner is not keeping up with the heat, the LAST thing in the world I want to think about is a house with no central a/c at all. Someone should tell them to change the pics with the seasons!!
Tuesday, July 18, 2006
Oven/House, House/Oven
Posted by J. Denae at 1:10 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment