So here's what it sounded like inside my head this morning at about 5:40:
"I want a muffin."
"No, you don't want a muffin. Those muffins are full of calories and fat and carbs. Wouldn't a nice yogurt be better? Perhaps with a little sprinkle of Fiber One?"
"Nope. I'm buying a muffin."
"I don't think you really want a muffin, I think..."
"I don't really care what you think. I'm tired and there will be no nap today and I am going to eat that muffin."
"Maybe you could freeze the muffin and eat it later if you have been very very good all day."
"Nope. Eating the muffin now and will probably get something fried at the movies later."
"But that muffin is so bad for you, and eating at the movies is asking for an early death."
"You know, people who listen to the little voices in their heads are often crazy. Maybe we should try antidepressants again. Remember that? No sex drive, no food drive, no fun drive... just that little hum that ran through everything?"
"I'm just saying that a muffin might not be our best choice for breakfast this morning..."
"hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..."
"Okay! Okay!! Eat the frickin muffin. Just don't come crying to me when your jeans are tight."
That's normal, right??
So my work-spouse, Andie and I went to the monthly book club last night (Red Weather, Pauls Toutonghi). I think it was a success... though it's difficult for me to be subjective about it. I don't honestly know what makes a discussion good - I've been doing this for almost a year and everyone seems happy but I don't feel like we're digging in all that deep. This time, the owner of the book store gave me a little pamphlet that the publisher sent out that had "discussion questions" and a little interview with Pauls... the questions were ok. My methods are a little more organic than sitting around in a circle asking questions off of a numbered list - and I don't think she expected me to do that. After the discussion was over I looked over the questions and we had managed to deal with most of them in our own way, so that's good. Next month is Mockingbird: A Portrait of Harper Lee, by Charles J. Shields. I started it this morning and was sort of amused... there is an introduction that goes into how hard it was to write the book because Harper Lee does not give interviews. In the introduction he mentions that Lee did not like introductions (me neither). The introduction is so clunky and self-conscious that I don't know that I would have continued if it weren't my job. I know he sent her a copy before it was published - which is appropriate, while she would not participate in the writing of this book, she also did not move to stop any part of the research - and I can imagine her cringe at some of the language. I don't mean to be so critical... I am really looking forward to this book - I just hope it gets over itself pretty soon. In the first chapter there is a little more clunkiness - the sort of clunkiness you find in profiles written for magazines, where they only have a few pages to get in a lot of information. I wouldn't expect to find it in a book of this length. I admire the amount of work Shields put into this book, so I understand why he included information about it in the introduction, but it feels sort of self-congratulatory and false.
But who the hell am I to criticize??
I don't know. I just think that if you're going to write a book about Harper Lee you'd better be a pretty fucking good writer. We'll see if he can get his tone under control.
After the discussion group Andie and I tried to see the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie but every show was sold out. We bought tickets for today and then saw The Devil Wears Prada. It was funny enough, but Johnny Depp was not in it. It was like craving pears and being handed a banana.
Oh yarn-y, yarn, yarn. There are no pictures (yet) but my Knit in Public meeting this week was a "naked needles yarn exchange" and was oh so much fun!! I traded a little sock yarn and two books for a little more sock yarn and some really pretty yarn that is probably going to become a blanket for me. I also bought some cotton yarn for washcloths (shhhhhh, don't tell Kerri. She is in the process of buying a new house so I'm making her knitted washcloths for her *first* kitchen). I think she might be on to me, though, as I was not at all subtle when I asked her what color her kitchen and bathroom was going to be.
So I realized this week that it's July already. Nothing gets by me! My semester starts August 17 and I can start my practicum two weeks before that... which would be the end of July. AND IT'S JULY ALREADY. I called the poor woman with whom I interviewed last November and she wasn't working there anymore (not a good sign at all) and then I called the other woman with whom I interviewed and while she didn't remember me or anything about our interview she apparently trusted that I knew what I was talking about and scheduled my first day for July 31. I'll be working with a Hospice Monday, Thursday and Friday mornings... just one more ball I can't drop!
Saturday, July 08, 2006
A little crazy, a little critique, a little yarn, a little school
Posted by J. Denae at 8:56 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
I am really on to you now. I'm excited!
Post a Comment