BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

How sad...

Not my usual topic... bear with me.

So Andrea Yates was found innocent (?!?) by reason of insanity today. I'm really sad about it. Sad that it happened at all, sad that her husband was so oblivious (and so, so stupid). Sad that she had such problems and didn't get help and kept having babies. Sad that she is not being held responsible for it.
Don't get all in a fit about it... I know that she's not being released, just moved to a mental hospital. I know that post partum depression is a real and serious thing and that there were a lot of contributing factors. I know that the knowledge that she did such a horrible thing to her own children is something that she will carry with her whether she is in prison or a hospital or home. I know.
But there is nothing innocent about her. There is nothing innocent at all about deliberately and methodically drowning your children. She will probably spend the rest of her life in a mental hospital. But she might not. She might be "cured" and go on to have another family which frightens me more than I can even say. It happens, though. People do terrible things to their children and the children either die or are taken away and then they just have more kids and it all starts again. I'm not saying that people can't learn and change, I just don't really believe that they do.
The whole situation makes me so unbelievably sad. There are so many horrible things in this world - so many people who deliberately hurt or neglect children. I just don't understand it. I don't understand what makes people so hateful and evil and I don't know what makes our society say that under some circumstances that can be pardoned.
That's really all I wanted to say... maybe that's all I really can say.

(Note to self: must stop listening to the news).

1 comments:

handknitbyafailedfeminist said...

The worst part is that the husband has remarried, and thought it was in good taste to swing the new wife and wedding party out to the cemetary to visit the kids (really who could make this shit up). Andrea is 42 and unlikely to be released with any time left on her biological clock but Rusty could be starting a whole new family. This case made me so sad because my daughter Mary was the exact same age as thier daughter mary.