BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Attention deficit

I don't know what my problem is today... I still have that headache and I've been dropping stuff. I also am finding it very difficult to stay on task. I almost lost interest in posting just waiting for the computer to boot up! I have two different knitting projects (washcloths and a baby blanket) next to me along with two books (Mockingbird and The Devil Wears Prada). I keep switching between the four things about every twenty minutes or so - about every two commercial breaks (is anyone else excited that the new Project Runway starts tomorrow??). I've tried to nap, but I can't focus on sleep long enough to relax...
So please forgive me if this rambles along, doesn't make any sense, and/or is terribly boring.
I am really worried about my sister. Actually, I am really worried about what effect the choices my sister makes (or refuses to make) will have on her kids. I worry that these babies won't know what it means to be stable and safe. She's in a "not ideal" living situation and despite the talk we had a few months ago, and despite the serious offers of real help my parents and her mother are offering (she's my step-sister) she won't make a move. They have handled it really well - I hope that I can handle difficult situations with Bean the way my parents have always handled difficult situations with us. They step in long enough to say "wow, you've gotten yourself in quite a mess. Here's what we'll do to help but here's what you have to do to help yourself." They get that there is a fine line between helping and enabling and I totally dig that. But I worry about the kids (six and 20 months - oh and the next one is due in September). It's so ironic. We tried for years to get pregnant. Years of temperature taking and fertility meds and thousands of dollars that we'll never get back - which would have totally been worth it if we had a baby but now seems foolish and wasteful. If we could get that money back we could put a very nice sized deposit down on a house.
ANYWAY. No baby for us - the stable, happily married couple. But the unmarried, unstable nightmare of a duo that can't afford rent (but can, somehow afford a new big-screen TV) are having babies like kittens. (But I'm not bitter. Swear to god).
So I'm worried about her and I'm worried about my practicum (which starts in twenty days, not that I'm counting). I think I've mentioned that working in radio means you either lose or never attain an office-wear wardrobe. I have twenty days to find appropriate shoes and clothes. I have twenty days to obsess about not fucking up, not spilling something on my new clothes, not falling on my ass in front of clients and not breaking any office or hospital equipment.
I think we've already established that I'm not good with new situations. I am much better at dealing with things and people and events when I have a pretty good idea what I can expect (and what is expected of me) before I get there.

Enough anxiety for one post. I'll close this with a funny... I saw a t-shirt online yesterday. It said:

Scarf Ace
"Say hello to my needle friend"
That's funny as hell, and I hate puns.
I'll try again tomorrow to find something interesting to say...

0 comments: