BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Hottie Hot Hot

The forecast today calls for high temps over 100. I'm going to have to seriously rethink the whole "living close to my family" thing. That, or convince them that we should all move to Michigan. Although, I did recently see the Al Gore movie and maybe that's too close to the ocean.
Have you seen the movie yet? It's some scary, scary shit. If you're not an Al Gore fan you should still see this movie and try to get past the whole "Al Gore is too boring for words" thing long enough to listen to the science part of it. It's interesting, there was a special on Discovery that my husband watched and when I was telling him about the movie he said a lot of information from the Gore movie was also in the documentary he watched. The one thing to think about if you're one of those people who thinks global warming is an alarmist scam and even if there is warming it's not a big deal is that the ONLY people who think that global warming is a myth or at least not a serious and immediate issue are people without a science background. Scientists can't seem to agree on anything but gravity, evolution and global warming. I was ashamed to drive my SUV home.

Poor, poor Bean. This is the first weekend since my husband's new schedule started that she was home with us, and we both have to work on Sunday so she's at work with me. I hate having to wake her up that early (5:15) but I really can't leave her at home by herself. I was home alone at her age, and I think that she would be fine - she's responsible - but we don't have a home phone line. We each wanted our cell phones and when we did have a home line the only calls we got were telemarketers. Everyone who knows us just calls our cell phones. I know that she would probably just sleep until 11 and then I'd be home at noon but I just can't risk it. I complain a lot about my job, but not everyone can just take their kid to work when they need to.
She's at my desk, watching Pirates of the Caribbean on my laptop. We brought a pillow, blanket and bean bag chair so that she could nap... I'm so tired that I want to go up there and curl up with her.
I co-hosted a pretty nice baby shower yesterday... when I welcomed everyone I mentioned that we wouldn't be playing any shower games and there was this audible group sigh of relief. Does anyone actually like shower games?? They're so horrible. We had lots of food and beer and a cake that was really pretty and tasted good (how often does that happen for less then $50?) and it was a fun time (how often does that happen at a shower?). We did go around and offer advice to the new mom and then when she was opening her gifts we had people introduce themselves and say how they knew her as their gifts came up. The party was at Andie's groovy house and her husband took pity on Bean and the other 10-year-old girl there and took them to the park. He rocks.
I had "all the kids in the world" (my niece and nephew, 18 months and 6) for a few hours yesterday and they were both really good. The baby was not at all sure that she wanted to leave grandma's house with me, but once the other kids got in the car she was cool. Bean helped herd them around and we ran errands and got pizza. My nephew was more excited about the plastic toys that you can get for 50 cents in the machines than he was about the fact that he had to sit in his chair (not perch, stand or kneel) and eat his pizza (not just the cheese) if he wanted me to give him quarters. The baby just sat in her high chair, alternating between goldfish crackers and cut-up bits of my pizza. She hasn't found actual words yet, but the food was "Guh, guh, guh," and at Andie's house she looked out of the window and when she saw the dog she said something that sounded like a very muted "oh, the dog's outside" and when I asked, "do you see the dog?" she looked at me like, "Isn't that what I just said?" and nodded. The dog, Wookie, is the sweetest dog in the world but he's fluffy which makes him look big (and she's small, which makes him look bigger) so he scared her. My sister has a dog and my mom has three so it didn't occur to me that she would be scared.
I am sooooooooooooooo taking a nap today. I'm going to blame it on the heat.

0 comments: