BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Weekend Roundup!

Well by Friday at noon my house was clean and my (26-page) paper was done. And I was exhausted. Totally and completely exhausted.

There was some idiot-stepmother drama (quelle surprise) about her kids seeing Gene and Lori... well, more specifically, some drama about what Lori and I might say about her in front of her kids. Seriously. Because we're like that. And also? What else would we talk about? It's not like any of us spend any time thinking about anything but her.

Whatever.

Lori and Gene made it into town just fine and we met for dinner after I got off work. They were picking up Gene's son on Saturday and their daughter was with them too... so I realized we were not having 8 for dinner Saturday night, we were having 10. I was really glad I bought extra meat!

After dinner Lori and I took our girls to see Mama Mia... great fun, y'all. Go see it, wear something festive, dance your way to the parking lot after. Seriously. I was never a huge ABBA fan, but there is something magical about the combination of ABBA and sequins that makes it almost impossible not to have fun.

Then Lori had an "asthma attack" and we went to the ER. Lori does have asthma, and she has had attack in the past bad enough to need the ER, but she is also famous for her ER trips. I can't remember the last time I spent more than 24 hours with Lori that did NOT end up in an ER trip. She was talking 8-miles a minute the whole time we were there. She was fine.

So, pumped full of asthma medication we went home and she kept me up until 4:30 talking. I got up at 6:30, went to work and zombie'd my way through the morning shift. By the time I got off, they were gone. Gene had an ear infection that got worse and they decided to drive home so he could go to their regular drop-in clinic.

Last night was supposed to be our "big dinner." We were supposed to be feeding a lot of people, so That Bad, Bad Man already had 5 pounds of pork loin cooking. Our numbers were down, but we decided to carry on. Exhausted and needing a nap, I peeled enough potatoes for 5 people, made bread pudding and cut up veggies for salad. Bean also wanted stuffed eggs so I boiled eggs.

That Bad, Bad Man came with only one of his kids instead of two, so there were only 4 of us. And a LOT of food. And we were all tired. So very, very tired.

Dinner was great... and Bean and Bad Man and I ate until we were too full to move. The other child only ate a little bit... but Bean had warned me that he rarely eats anything but cereal. (Still, he's the only kid I've ever met who wouldn't eat mashed potatoes!!)

Then they left, my mom picked Bean up and I slept pretty much from then until I had to leave for work this afternoon. I did rouse enough to eat some leftover bread pudding for breakfast... well, it's basically french toast, right?!?

3 comments:

Rhonda said...

YUM! Bread pudding is good ANY time!It has most of the food groups except the chocolate group, which we know is actually the most important. That can be solved with a drizzling of fudge sauce...

I was going top suggest a bourbon sauce, but lets get real. Just drink the bourbon and GET sauced...I know, "what a lush..."

NarcissusSue said...

I'm sorry, I have a couple questions:
Where was Gene when you were taking Lori to the ER?
Did they leave a note Saturday before you got home, or just leave?
Did they see Gene's son, or was it just a drive-to-Wichita-for-a-movie-and-ER-copay sort of trip?
WTF?

Cerise said...

Yeah, WTF? You have strange guests! But I bow before anyone who actually makes bread pudding at home!