Has it really been that long?
Has it only been that long?
There is a client tonight who has been asleep since before I got here. She apparently refused to shower or eat. I tried to go in and wake her at dinner time and I got to her door and couldn't make myself knock. This big roar of panic pushed through me and my hands were shaking. It's not the same situation at all, but I couldn't help thinking I would walk in there and find her dead.
I just kept thinking about that night... finding him like that after weeks of watching him refuse to participate in his own life. Watching him refuse to eat anything I cooked. Weeks of listening to him vomit every day. Weeks of his anger and rage.
Weeks of thinking that he had so much in common with the clients I saw.
Weeks of slowly allowing myself to become more mute and helpless.
I ended up taking a break and asking the therapist working tonight to try.
The other clients were watching TV and didn't see anything, so that's good I guess.
I don't want to go home tonight.
But of course I will... and I'll be fine.
That "big roar" of panic has subsided, now I just feel empty and hollow. I will go home and I will get some rest and I will get up tomorrow and go to work. Just like always.
Sunday, July 20, 2008
Four Months
Posted by J. Denae at 10:07 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
I'm really impressed that you are so brave and determined. You are continuing school and pursuing this career, even though you have lots of excuses to just hide under the bed. I'm so proud of you!
Post a Comment