BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, April 11, 2008

Exhausting

Being OK is just flat out exhausting.

And I am OK.
Mostly.
But I don't realize how much effort goes into it all until I am about to collapse. By then it's usually too late... sort of like the early days of potty training - only with more crying and less pee.
The worst part was going to pick Bean up from my parents. They bowl on Thursdays... with lots of people from my mom's office. Lots of people who know what happened and who really want to know that I'm OK.
And I am OK.
Mostly.
But picking Bean up was at the end of a very (very) long day and the more tired I get the less OK I am. After about the hundredth sad look and concerned smile I got that prickly feeling in my throat... that "way too many people here" feeling. We came home and I made some orzo with marinara and lots of cheese.

I did have one sort of funny thing happen today... there is a therapy group for kids and their families after the death of a family member. They called me back today and while we were doing the initial intake the woman on the other end of the phone figured out that we are in the same MSW program and she is, in fact, in one of my classes this semester.
"You haven't been in class lately!" She said.
"Um, my husband died," I reminded her, "class seemed somewhat more than I could accomplish."
"Oh! Right!"

For the love of sheep.

But I am back in class - for what it's worth. I think I can make up what's missing in my addictions class... if I work my ass off and fudge a little. But my other class might be too far gone. I don't want to face it, but I can't afford to fail and I can't quit now.

It is just really difficult to think about working my ass off for class when all I want to do is crawl under the bed and just stop.

But I'm OK.
Mostly.

3 comments:

Laura said...

hi,
i'm drlaura from Crystal Palace yarns.
appropos of your classwork - being a former college professor- i know factually that there are lots of options open to you with even the briefest meeting w/ instructor. more support too if you go further and connect w/ deans. they can arrange "makeup" this and that or something for such extra-ordinary circumstances! this is the time to let the world give back to you...
and here's a hug.
blessings, L
proflaura@firststepinternet.com

Laura said...

Hi,

I'm not DrLaura. Just Laura your friend. DrLaura is right - this is the time to let the world give back to you. Let yourself do what feels good. Your parents love you and can help with Bean. Of course she needs You too, but don't expect yourself to recover overnight from this. Give yourself lots of mental and physical hugs and let us do that for you too. Wish I could see you at Twist on Saturday. Hopefully the next week.

Take care,
XOXOXOXOX
Laura

handknitbyafailedfeminist said...

I am sending love and hugs from this far end of the world. Please know that you can and will survive and it will all make you the person you dream of being. I say this as an MSW, a knitter, and a woman married to a man too stubborn to take care of himself. I hope you are finding peace!