"Marriage is like an un-funny episode of Everybody Loves Raymond" (Knocked Up).
Hi Kerri? Don't read this.
On second thought... read it, what the hell do I know??
Also, I'm a little medicated. And by "a little" I mean drugged to the gills and feelin' pretty fine.
So I have been a little down. (Really? None of us had noticed).
And mostly, I have been a little down on marriage. (Um, nope, hadn't noticed that either).
It is not that I don't love my husband. I do. Essentially he's a good guy (with issues). Essentially they're all good guys (with issues). I guess we more or less pick the guy with the issues we think we can handle the best. Or something.
Whatever.
But I have been watching a lot of comedies and comedy specials and stuff. You know, trying to take the edge off. In a nutshell: it didn't work. It sort of made it worse.
Because the funniest stuff in stand-up and in sit-coms is the "holy crap marriage sucks but I love him/her anyway so what the fuck divorce is expensive anyway" bits.
It occurred to me that maybe I am blowing this whole spousal drama out of proportion.
Yes, he needs to get a job. Yes, one of the other husbands needs to figure out whether he's gay or not. Yes, another one needs to get his anger issues under control. There are some issues that need to be fixed... but the thing that has had me in such a twist is that while I love the husband I don't really like him right now. I don't want to spend time with him and when he comes to bed I pretend to sleep. I am angry with him. Constantly. I want him to not be home when I am home. I would rather he leave the house and pretend to look for a job so that I can have a few hours alone and not have to be pissed at him about it. I resent the fact that emotionally he has been MIA for about a year. (Understandably, right? But just because my dad is still alive doesn't mean I have no emotional needs. Fuck, some of you know my dad... I might just have MORE needs than the average bear BECAUSE he's alive but that is a different story all together).
But maybe that is not such an unusual thing. Maybe we have been led to believe that marriage is supposed to be this mutual exchange of ideas and support... and it is actually... um... NOT. Maybe it's ok to not like him very much right now, and maybe that doesn't mean that my marriage is in trouble. Maybe it just means I'm married. Maybe it is ok to only get, I don't know, half of the support you need from your spouse and the rest from other people. I get more support and sympathy and help from my friends than I ever have from any man ever. The only thing I'm not getting from my friends is sex and financial support. (Again, a totally different post is in order to really discuss that one).
I can't be the only one. I look around at my friends and I know for a FACT that there are at least three or four of us.
I am not saying that we should all go out and get divorces and live alone forever. Not at all. I think that what I'm saying is that maybe we really can't expect our husbands to fulfill every emotional need we have and maybe our expectation that they will is causing some of this angst. I mean seriously.
I have known some of my friends since I was 13. Other friends of mine are relatively new and still others are people who I have known for a long time but only recently really developed a relationship with. And we all seem to be having the same sorts of issues with the men in our lives.
And it can't all be blamed on "the kids." Not all of us have kids. Unless you count our husbands.
I know that we're all old enough to have given up on happily ever after... but I think that we really did buy in to the whole "life mate" thing. We bought into the idea that somehow they would learn to communicate in the same way we communicate. We bought into the Ikea and Ethan Allen and Fucking Kodak commercials. I am really starting to think that we just might be expecting too much out of these only recently domesticated animals.
They're not all bad. Like I said, they're basically good guys, but when we expect them to love us and cherish us and support us like our friends do maybe we're asking for more than they can give.
I am not ready to give up on my marriage... I have talked about it a lot recently but I am not ready to do that. Maybe this is what marriage IS. Maybe this is what I have to get used to. You know, once he has a job.
Maybe the thing I thought I was supposed to get from marriage that I'm not getting is really better found with the women in my speed-dial. You know, except for the sex and financial support.
Monday, June 25, 2007
Out of Proportion?
Posted by J. Denae at 12:21 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I read an article (somewhere) recently about the high divorce rate in the U.S. and it was creditied partially to changes in the economy, social structures, and communities that have resulted in people working more and leaving less time for socializing. With a smaller support network and fewer friends, too many couples invest all of their time and energy in each other. One person can't be everything to another person. Your attitude is a much more realistic and healthy one, as hard as it is to break from the romantic ideal of the one-and-only, everything-to-me life partner.
i am an unabashed and pathetic romaticist at times. i want the hubby to be romantic and to talk with me and be sweet and supportive. and in his own way, he can be. just not the way i think he should be. but, i have to accept the way he is. it's not easy. it's not easy to accept that behavior changes with time, relationships change with time, and that just because you love someone doesn't mean that you want to spend all or even some of your time with them. being an adult is not always what it is carcked up to be.
My belief is that, when you really look at it, women and men are not compatible. We are conditioned to be 'opposites.' Opposites may attract, but can they find emotional fulfillment with each other for a long time? Hell, do men even recognize emotional fulfillment?! I was married for 20 years (because I got pregnant). I was happy for about 30 minutes. I stayed married 'for the kids', one of which told me in therapy later that he wished I hadn't. What can you do? I do Very Little anymore than I don't wish to do. Other people's wishes do not run me anymore.
Jill, I think you are an awesome person. Part of who you are is an effect of your experiences. I do wish for more happiness for you.
Ya know, marriage is a choice. Every day. A choice. And we just have decide what to do with it.
Post a Comment