BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, September 01, 2006

Sleeping in...

Look at me having a day off... sort of. Bean doesn't have school today or Monday so I took time off from Hospice and then she decided to spend the weekend with her dad. So all I have to do today is finish the book for my book club. (Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky - it really is an amazing book). I've finished the narrative part, and am on the notes at the end. I wouldn't ordinarily worry so much about the notes but I know that there will be some discussion about them.
But the important part is that I am still in bed. It's after eleven in the morning and I've been out of bed twice.
Andie and I are going out for lunch today but otherwise I don't have any plans until about 4. I have to go to work for a few hours and then the book club meets for dinner at 7.
So my sister had her baby. They broke her water Thursday evening. She called to tell me they were going in and I asked her if she wanted me to go and she said her usual, "It doesn't matter." So the husband and I went out for dinner. As we were leaving the restaurant her friend called and asked if I was coming. I said no, that she didn't seem to want me there. Her friend said, "well she asked me to call you again." So I went. I said I wasn't going to but I did anyway. I don't want to abandon her but I don't want to get involved and I went anyway. Our parents were out of town and her mom lives about three hours away so I was really the only family there. He was there, of course, hangong all over her and acting like a good guy but, really it was just sickening. He didn't say anything to me and I managed to pretend that he wasn't there. It was scary at some times - her blood pressure was pretty low at times and she was really uncomfortable. We talked about nothing... just mindless, inconsequential stuff - school and the kids and The Young and The Restless.
I stayed long enough to see the baby (he is, of course, beautiful) and to tell her goodbye. Whatever function I served for her during the whole process I still had to get some sleep. I still had to get up and go to Hospice in the morning. I picked Bean up at school yesterday afternoon and took her to see the baby on the way to her dad's house, so I did my job there too.
And, of course, the parents have hatched a new plan. Her mom, T, is coming for the weekend and they're going to try to get her to go back to stay with her mom while she recovers from the birth. Our mom said she'll take care of my nephew and get him to and from school and bring him up on the weekends and they can take the babies to T's house. They're hoping that getting her completely away from him will help her see things more clearly. I'm hoping that she just moves in with them and stays away for a long time. I'm hoping that she gets her shit together, for herself and her three kids. I'm hoping that she figures out how to grow up and be strong.
The whole thing makes me really tired.

0 comments: