I forgot to bring my camera, so no log cabin blanket pics. There is an excuse... something about waking up at 5:25 and pulling out of my driveway at 5:30... but I'm too tired to remember.
I forgot that knitting is not the most important part of everybody's day. My wrist is a little better, but still not 100%. I've spent the last day or so worrying about my knitting and my husband pointed out last night that it might actually also affect my ability to pack and organize. That hadn't even occurred to me. Priorities and all that.
I forgot that I work in the 'Hood. I mean, I know that I do, but I don't really think about it unless something happens. (Nothing really happened). I was at my favorite Quik Trip at 5:40 this morning and there were more people there than usual. It's ok, but it means I have to park further from the door than I like. One guy got out of an Audi that was painted gold with the Louis Vuitton logo all over it. He was talking on a pay phone when I was walking back to my car telling someone that he didn't have "no" cash because he had to give it to his "baby mama." Shit like that cracks me up. (You can live in your car but you can't drive your house). Another guy rounded the corner as I was getting into my car. He made me hurry just a little more. He was obviously strung out on something, weaving and rocking and shaking and talking to himself. He didn't even seem to see me, but he reminded me where I was. I am so insulated here in my locked-up-tight little building and my smug "I'm not that kind of social worker" mantra. Well, first of all, I am totally NOT that kind of social worker. And secondly, what was I going to do? Approach him and see if I could give him a pamphlet? Um, no.
I forgot that Josh Hartnett can't act. CAN. NOT. Act. Can't. Sorry. (Andie and I saw The Black Dahlia last night). What the hell were they thinking? Swear to god, Ashton Kutcher would have done a better job. Or James "the forehead" Van Der Beek. Or Little Richard. Or that sock puppet dog that used to do the PetCo commercials. Pretty much anyone. It had so much promise, what with Scarlett Johansson and Hilary Swank and all.
I forgot that there is a very valid reason for eating preservative-laden over processed food. Apparently fresh veggies can kill you. Have you seen that? (Of course you have. It's only on every news report from here to Iraq). Even I had to throw some spinach away. And my KIP meeting is at one of my favorite restaurants this week and my favorite thing to get there is the spinach salad. Crap. (Because it really IS all about me).
I forgot that when your husband says "You look really tired, do you want me to rub your back?" there is actually 70's music playing in a loop in his head. (Bowm-chicka-wow-wow). Because yes, actually, I am really tired and I would LOOOOOOOVE a massage. Um, a real one. Not that his version isn't nice and stress-relieving in it's own way. If you know what I mean.
I forgot how much I love staying in bed all morning watching judge shows. Calling in sick yesterday morning was really nice - even though I did actually feel like crap. Sleeping and watching Divorce Court and Judge Joe Brown made me feel a little more like a functioning person. Crazy town.
Saturday, September 16, 2006
I forgot...
Posted by J. Denae at 7:09 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
As a semi-retired social worker (my brian is willing but can't work for less than the cost of childcare for 3), I often find my matra is I am not YOUR social worker. THis allows to be be a human mother and wife, instead of having to be empathic all the time. Thanks for your comment!
Post a Comment