Pardon me while I whine for a moment....
It's soooooo early!!! And I hate early!!!!
OK. I'm better now. (Sort of).
Yesterday was actually really nice... I slept in and read in bed (yes, I finished my book before the book club). Andie and I had lunch (and ice cream) and I knitted for awhile. I finished (again) the first sock from the Wick yarn I was going on (and on) about. I finished the first sock about two weeks ago and when Bean tried it on it didn't fit. I am constantly underestimating how big she is... (yes, I could use a tape measure, but then I could no longer be in denial about how big she is!) Anyway, I worked on the sock while my sister was in labor and was in the "Just keep knitting" mode, so NOW it might be a bit long. She'll grow.
The book club was nice - French book = French food. And everyone loved the book. This can have the potential to make the discussion really (really really really) boring, there was a lot of lively discussion.
After the discussion I was trying to slip out and got "caught" by a woman who had been to a couple of the discussions. Her name sounded familiar but her face was not familiar at all and now I know why. We talked for a few minutes and then somehow we started talking about where and when we went to high school... which turned into the "who do we have in common" game. (Yes, Lia, this is exactly why you move 3000 miles away from home after high school.) Turns out, she knew Bean's stepmother (among others) before I did and got caught up in her drama like I did. It was sort of creepy... we had a lot of the same stories about a lot of the same people. Toxic relationships suck. She also knew my friend M's husband and our new engineer in high school. It really is a teeny tiny town. I had heard stories about her - but from the toxic people. Toxic people tend to lie... to reinvent history to suit them. I wonder what kinds of stories are told about me. I wonder if it really matters.
I liked her, though, and we had that "shipwreck survivor" thing going on... It's always reassuring when a third party has the exact same impression of someone - especially if it's negative. It makes you feel like you really are the sane one. I hope she's not a crazy person. I called M's husband and left a message about her. Hopefully if she is a crazy person he'll call and let me know. We talked about the importance of the drama-free zone, but if she is a crazy person her idea of drama might be different. Hell, maybe I'm a crazy person.
Speaking of crazy...
Why does everyone think I should crochet?!? I can't pull out my needles anywhere but home (and KIP) without someone saying, "Is that knitting or crochet?" (Which makes me crazy, y'all know). When I say, "Knitting," and make some sort of gesture that means "See? Needles you idiot," they invariably say, "My mother (sister/best friend/cat/neighbor) crochets and she says it's a lot easier than knitting. You should really try it." "Oh," I say, "I've tried crochet, I'm hopeless. For me, knitting is much easier." And then they argue. "You should let my mother show you... she can teach anyone." "Oh," I smile, "Do you crochet?" Which, of course, they don't. Someone who crochets would know the difference between knit and crochet.
Here's the thing, I don't hate crochet. I really don't. It's just not my thing. I wasn't very good at it and I didn't ever enjoy it. I am adequate at knitting and I really enjoy it. Why is that such a problem?!? To me, knitting vs. crochet is like Coke vs. Pepsi, Chocolate vs. Vanilla, left side of the bed vs. right side of the bed. It is possible to like both. It is also possible to like neither. It is also possible to lean more strongly toward one, to identify yourself with one and eschew the other without judgment or negative thoughts... it's just preference. With knit and crochet perhaps preference and ability. If I go to a restaurant and ask for diet coke and the server says (in that hopeful way) "Diet Pepsi?" I will smile in an equally hopeful way and say, "Diet Dr. Pepper?" and if there is no Diet Dr. Pepper I will drink Diet Pepsi. If I am trapped somewhere and somehow do not have anything to do, and a nice woman asks what I need I would say, "Knitting." If she smiled at me in that hopeful way and said, "Crochet?" I would say, "Cross stitch?" and if she didn't have that I would crochet something. Badly. See what I mean? It's exactly the same thing.
We're going to look at that house today. I'm nervous. What if they hate it? Or even more scary, what if they don't?!? What if this is the house? What if it really is time?!?
ACK!
Saturday, September 02, 2006
Posted by J. Denae at 7:34 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Hope the house-looking went well!
I have the same order of beverages as you do. Yesterday, the family and I stopped at the video store and my husband ran in while the rest of us waited in the van with the windows down. The lady in the next van saw me knitting and said, "Now, that's really a skill. What is that? Crochet?" (I do crochet, but that doesn't excuse the weirdness of a person in a totally different vehicle in a parking lot making small talk.)
Post a Comment