Bean's birthday party was a screaming success.
Literally.
Screaming.
At 2 in the morning.
But a grand time was had by all. I can not believe that I am old enough to be the mother of a 12-year-old. Yikes.
Sunday the girls slept until about 11 and then I went to Taco Shop (Taco Shop!) and brought home a bag of tacos. They descended on the bag like gremlins on a bucket of chicken. It was a little frightening.
We were going to go home and lounge around and make chicken soup for ourselves but mom convinced me to stay there and cook for the family. So Bean and I napped while mom and dad went golfing and then around 5 I started cooking. By the time they got home the whole house smelled good and my brother and his girlfriend were hovering around the kitchen.
I made cheddar biscuits to go with the soup and we all sat around the small kitchen table eating soup and watching The Simpsons.
It was a good night.
And also... I might get a room mate. My brother's girlfriend needs a place to live - and I just love her so much. She was the one who was picking Bean up after school last year when I had evening classes and didn't want Bean and Bartleby to be alone together for that long. AND I had a knitting catalog with me and she kept looking through it. (Heh heh heh - I think I only need two more knitting converts before I get my toaster oven!!) AND she cleans. CLEANS!!!
So we might hold off on the conversion of the den into my girlie crafty room and let it become Amber's room for a while.
My brother asked how I felt about Amber's dog... and it had occurred to me that getting Amber means getting Haydrun as well. And I decided that it would be a great way to get my brother to fix my fence issues for free. And I told him so.
Having Amber in the house means more than just an extra person (who cleans!!) in the house. I think that it will also help me be more accountable. Not like she's going to be reporting back to anyone that I (as a purely hypothetical example) eat a whole bag of oreos in bed at 6 in the evening or anything, but just having another adult in the house (who cleans!!) will make me more conscious about the structure of things. And while she is 21, she has been through some shit in her life and I think her positive attitude and outlook will be a good influence on Bean and I. And we will be helping her too.
And she would be spending about half of her week at my brother's house anyway.
I hope she decides to stay with us. Even though it means that I will have to do some SERIOUS pre-cleaning and reorganizing. It will be good for me.
Monday, September 22, 2008
What a Weekend
Posted by J. Denae at 11:07 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
OMG, I can't believe you had a slumber party for twelve-year-old girls at your house. You are such a great mom!
Post a Comment