It's been quite an unremarkable week. Thank God.
Class, napping, reading, knitting, Fringe, Project Runway, Top Design, How I Met Your Mother... This is my favorite TV time of the year.
(An aside to the Project Runway fans: Blaine was sent home?!? What the HELL??? Have these people been paying attention to Kenley and her nonsense? And WHY is she SUCH a brat?!?)
I have finished an entire sleeve of the Ernie sweater... and started the next one. There are eleventy billion ends to sew in on just one sleeve. I love my brother.
Bean and I went to Lara's house last night for knitting and talking. I love spending time with Lara. She's so funny and no-nonsense. We share a sort of "If you don't like it then fix it" outlook... I dig that. Her two younger kids stayed in the living room with us, slipping knock-knock jokes into our conversation.
Bean and I went home and then, of course, she remembered that she had homework. After about 30 minutes she came into the bedroom looking like she was about to cry. Since moving up to the advanced math class she has struggled a little (yay!!). She has asked for help with her math almost every night this week... and it's the first time EVER that she has needed help with any kind of homework. Last night she said, "Maybe I shouldn't have moved to this class. It's too hard."
(I hate "It's too hard." Hate it).
I said, "It's not that it's too hard, it's that you're finally being asked to learn something you don't already know. That's not hard, that's learning."
What she has learned over the years that she can zone out in class and still get it because they're going slow and she can absorb all she needs from the answers to other kid's questions. (Ask me how I know this).
Now she's in a class where she can't do that. Finally. Thank God.
It's not that I want her to feel like she's struggling uphill the whole way, but when we were going through it together and she started to understand what she needed to do - she felt so good about it because she did have to really work. The payoff was better... and also every time she got something right I gave her a gummy bear. It was like potty training only with algebra.
It's also good for her to learn when to ask for help, and to know what kind of help to expect. I'm certainly not going to do it for her, but I will help her break the problems down into manageable bits.
Today I slept in a bit - though I sort of wish I hadn't.
The dream I had after Bean left for school was weird and not in a good way. In part of it I was packing for a trip, Las Vegas or Canada depending on what else was going on in the dream at the time... and I kept getting phone calls about people I know being sick or hospitalized and I kept trying to decide if I should cancel my trip. Then at some point I was on a plane with my mom and The Fabulous Michelle and I didn't have my ticket. That Bad, Bad Man was supposed to be coming with us and he had our tickets. I don't know how I got on the plane without mine, but I was afraid that he wouldn't show up and I would get in trouble for not having it.
Yes, I see those raised eyebrows. I know, ok?
Whatever.
Thursday, September 25, 2008
Thursday Already?!?
Posted by J. Denae at 10:55 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I like spending time with you, too. I was going to thank you for playing along with the knock-knock jokes. lol.
I REALLY hate "it's too hard." It may be hard, but nothing is too hard, you just have to do it. Sometimes that means a lot of work. There are some things that you won't want to do the work, but with Bean's math, she will benefit.
um.
Nevermind! :-P
I can't believe Suede was elliminated and not Kenley! At first I thought she was cute, but now is just annoying as all hell.
I wish more of my students had moms like you. Instead of moms who call and scream at me because their kid actually has to do homework. Yeah, I teach COLLEGE. Or, at least, I thought I did.
Post a Comment