BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Migraine

So last night I had the worst migraine I've ever had.
And that's an accomplishment.
I had a headache most of the afternoon - I just thought it was because I didn't eat lunch. I got home and made a quick (but way yummy) dinner (pork chops, stuffing and green beans) and then Bean and I watched some TV and talked and I knitted.
Normal night... well, except for the part about me coking dinner. Otherwise it was normal.
But my headache didn't get better with food. It just kept gettting worse and worse. It was behind my right eye. Then it was inside my right eye. Then it became my right eye. I couldn't knit and sitting up made me woozy so I went to bed. Bean came in and we watched The Women on TCM.
I spent most of it on my back with ice on my forehead. Dizzy and nauseated. I took 4 ibuprofen and a dose of my migraine meds. An hour later the pain was my eye and wrapping around my ear.
I took another dose of meds. Usually that's enough to knock me into the next month. About an hour after that the pain was my eye and it wrapped around my ear and through the back of my neck. At that point I took a Xanax and got into the shower (in the dark). I sat there with the hottest water I could stand pouring onto me and I cried and cried.
There is something about pain - especially when you don't know where it's going to peak - that renders you frightened and hopeless. I started out thinking I was going to die and ended up wishing I would.
Bean was (naturally) an amazing caretaker. She brought me water and patted my hand and while I was in the shower she made me hot cocoa.
I love that kid.
She also ran some laundry and took out the trash.
See? Everyone needs a Bean. (She's mine, get your own).
Something in the combination of drugs (and more drugs and more drugs) and the hot water finally loosened the pain and I was able to sleep.
I am amazed today that I don't hurt wore than I do. There is a little migraine residue threatening on the edges, but I'm not sick like last night.
I got up this morning and took care of grandma and then came to the Vet Center. I will not be here all day, but I wanted to make an appearance. It's funny - every time I do anything more than just sit here there is a little mommy voice in my head that says, "Is that how we treat ourselves after such a migraine? Let's not push it today."
So I will be quiet today, and I will rest. I will not put in a full day and I will make chicken soup for dinner.

Here is the recipe:

3 cups shredded chicken (I usually cook it in the crock pot, but I am forgetful today so we will be baking our chicken)
2 cups shredded carrots
2 cups chredded potatoes
1 cup diced celery
8 cups chicken broth and water
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper as needed

Boil these until the veggies are tender (doesn't take a long time since everything is so small and the chicken is already cooked.
Then remove from heat, take out the bay leaves and add 2 cups of milk and 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese.

And the try, just try, to only eat one bowl.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

One bowl is impossible, I think that's Newtons 6th or 7th Law of thermodynamics as pertains to soup and thd using of chicken therein.

Anonymous said...

I was watching The Women on TCM too. I liked it. Sorry to hear about the horrible migraine, but glad to hear you're feeling better.