Time has been successfully bent and twisted.
I finished my final paper for one class and have three hours to go before the test in another. I have read another 100 pages in the book for the book club - 400 down, 500 to go by Friday. My sock is another inch longer and Tuesday managed to be a successful knitting night.
AND I managed to get more than three hours of sleep last night.
I still have one unfinished paper and one more assignment for my research class and I have to come up with a "journal" of my Hospice experience with at least ten entries, but that's all for next week.
I thing I figured out what has been keeping me up at night. I was sitting on the couch last night reading Sacred Games (the book for Friday) and I kept looking around at my living room. There is a big, green chair with an ottoman that I love. It's next to the window and there is a bookshelf on the other side and a floor lamp behind it. I never sit in this chair, but I love it and it occurred to me that the reason I don't sit in it is because I love looking at it so much. When I imagined owning a house - having my own space I imagined just this picture and it's perfect. It's inviting and warm, there are books and knitting at hand and there is a place to put a drink. The cats love the chair, too, so there is often something warm and fuzzy purring behind your head. I look at this chair and I think, "Yes, this is what I have wanted." So I sit across the room from it, keeping myself out of this picture because I don't want to ruin it.
The problem is, that having what I wanted is a terrifying thing. If you have nothing you have nothing to lose and now there are lots of good things in my life and I am so afraid they'll all disintegrate before I even know what is happening. I lie in bed at night tensed and barely breathing, trying not to move. Not to disturb this life. I don't even realize that I'm tense until my muscles start to ache, my legs and arms and neck and back. When I try to relax them it takes real effort, and my jaws ache constantly from the pressure of my gritted teeth. I have dreams sometimes that I wake up and my teeth have become a fine sand in my mouth, that I have destroyed them. Scary, right?
But what if we lose everything? What if we lose the house and my self-destructive semester finally catches up with me and I do so poorly in my classes that they have no choice but to remove me from the program? What is my marriage crumbles and my friends realize that I'm just a hollowed out version of a real person?
And is this all just a manifestation of stress? Of burnout? Or is this an indication that my medication is not working and I need something else (again). Shouldn't my favorite place in the house include me? Shouldn't I be able to relax?
Ten more days and the semester will be over. Ten more days and I will be done with Hospice. The husband has a couple of job interviews and surely one of those will end up with a job. A month from now we'll be home from our trip to Chicago and I'll be eating better and exercising and things will look better then, right?
Wednesday, May 02, 2007
Progress and anxiety
Posted by J. Denae at 11:54 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
total stress and burnout. you should be proud that you are able to tackle so much! in ten days, and after you have slept for a few more, we need to go out and celebrate what you have finished and accomplished! beyond the fact that it would be fun, i think you maybe need to just have fun! go sit in your chair! Drape it in yarn and cathair and a soda stain!
Post a Comment