Bean's teacher called me around 1:00. She was fairly shaken up. Bean apparently was eating a hot dog and choked - another teacher had to do the Heimlich Maneuver.
She has a history of eating too much too quickly and choking... this is the third time since she was three that she couldn't take care of it on her own. This scares the crap out of me... mostly because I thought she had grown out of this and she is becoming more independent. I worry that this will happen when there isn't anyone around to help her.
I picked her up and she stuck pretty close to me for a few hours. I think this one shook her up too.
Tonight at dinner we practiced eating small bites and chewing them slowly.
Bean ALSO had an appointment with the oral surgeon today. They are pulling her wisdom teeth and 6 of her baby teeth in three weeks. I was fine until they handed me the "scary surgery" consent/release form. I know that even if they are treating you for a hangnail they have to get this release, but it is difficult as a mother (parent) to look at a list of all of the potential negative outcomes and then sign and say, "Sure, Doc, try not to screw up!"
In times like this my admiration for parents with chronically sick kids multiplies.
Then we went and spent our bookstore gift cards (and then some) from Christmas.
I bought:
Madam Secretary by Madeline Albright
Body Surfing by Anita Shreve
Waiting for Daisy by Peggy Orenstein
Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination by Helen Fielding
A Perfect Divorce by Avery Corman
(and last but not least)
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
I know, right?!?
That should last me through February - maybe even part of March as the semester is about to start.
Then we met Andie for dinner and two (count 'em, two) movies. We ate popcorn and shared Twizzlers and Whoppers. I totally love movie night.
We saw 27 Dresses - very funny. Funnier and smarter than I thought it would be. And then we saw Atonement. Oh my god. Wow. If you haven't read the book you should... and then see the movie. I read the book years ago and my memories of the ending are sort of fuzzy, but some of the scenes from the book that really made an impression on me were in the movie in such amazing detail.
Tomorrow I am sleeping in and then meeting a friend for lunch and then we are off to the LYS for some knitting and lounging and talking and assorted good times.
And guess what kids? I managed to get the day off on Monday!!
Friday, January 18, 2008
Friday News Roundup...
Posted by J. Denae at 11:57 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I rarely read fiction, but i LOVED the life of pi so darn much. Have fun at Twist today!
We saw 27 Dresses last night too! It was much better than I expected it to be. I thought it was really very good. Atonement is still on my list to see.
Post a Comment