BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Who's a groggy girl?

So I'm at work (which I don't mind, I like my job) and it's a weekend (which I don't mind because I'll be off by noon and there's plenty of napping scheduled for today) but there is a light in the control room that is buzzing. Loudly. In that way that fluorescent lights buzz that makes your eyes start to twitch. It isn't, in fact, a fluorescent light. It jut buzzes as thought it wants very badly to be one. I would just turn the light off and work in the relative dark but I would probably go to sleep and then they really WOULD have to fire me.

I know, don't write too much about work, people are getting fired and sued and denied jobs because of their blogs. It was all over Talk of the Nation last week. We have a very small office and there are not enough of us to get away with slacking off. Its interesting, though, if you visited the station you would think that we ever did anything. There are always a few people hanging out at the front desk, and a few people hanging out in the control room. My work spouse (more on that later) and I are rarely at our desks... We're either in a meeting or in the control room knitting. We all do work, though, harder than is often apparent.

But this morning there is a hum, a buzz from a light in the control room that I tolerated as long as I could and since I do not have a ladder to change it myself, (or at least loosen it to make it STOP already) I am wearing the headphones. We always wear headphones when the mike is open but we usually leave them off for the time we spend sitting around waiting for it to be time to talk again. There are two real problems with sitting in a radio station early in the morning on a Sunday with headphones on: your ears get hot and sweaty, and you can't hear ambient noise so you constantly feel like there is someone sneaking up behind you.

It's almost 9, so in just a few hours I can go back to bed. It's really a perfect day for napping, chilly and rainy and the child is off with her father for the weekend. I'd be willing to bet that my husband won't even be up when I get home so I can just slip back into bed and we can all forget that I was even here. I am so tired... That achey, all-consuming tired that makes you want to sleep in your car at red lights and bite the insides of your cheeks to stay awake when the lights turn green again. I think this is just carryover from the end of a VERY long semester (grad school is hard - more on that later) and a very stressful pledge drive (pledge now, pledge often, support your local public radio station).

I haven't had a day off (not even weekends) for at least three weeks and it's wearing me down. No, it has worn me down. I fell asleep on a Rachel Ray cookbook (this one) the other night (love her food, hate her voice, Sorry Rachel!!). We did make one of the chicken burgers and while my husband, Mr. Picky loved it (though he did pick out most of the spinach and herbs) I found that I'm not overly fond of the texture of ground chicken. I fell asleep knitting last night and though The Yarn Harlot thinks she knits in her sleep, I saw no progress when I woke - thankfully NOT impaled on size 0 metal needles - and was mostly just relieved that all of the stitches stayed on the needles where they belonged. I'm making good progress on my mother's day socks but I think it's time to move on to something bigger. I found a pattern for a sweater from knitty.com that I think might be nice to start with. It just seems like such a huge time/money commitment and what if I screw it up?!? Maybe if I start now it will be done by the time it starts to get cold again!!

0 comments: