The fair isle sock is not going well.
First of all, I don't think it's going to be big enough... it might just be Bean's sock after all.
Did you do the recommended swatch in the fair isle pattern??
Nope. I sure didn't. And I'm not using the recommended size needles so I won't complain about that part. Promise.
I finally got to the heel and was concerned because this pattern doesn't approach the heel in the same way that the (only) other pattern I've used did. It makes this rounded heel that is quite lovely but there are little holes that come from the decreases and there is no instruction for picking up stitches for the instep. I tried to be all Zen about it and just flow with the pattern. I ended up with this thin little bubble of a heel that was full of holes. Flimsy and stupid looking. And I couldn't figure out how there would be room for a foot in there if the foot part just joins at the heel.
So I cast on another sock, did 6 rows of ribbing and then moved on to the heel. I tried to do it the way it was written. I swear that I did. I even got about an inch or so down the foot and STILL couldn't figure out how a normal shaped foot was supposed to fit in it.
So screw it. I frogged the stupid flimsy bubble-hole heel and I'm knitting it my way. I don't have any idea how to incorporate the design into the decreases before I hit the foot but I'll figure it out. I'm just gonna roll with it.
Yes indeed-y! I'm going to finish this fucking too-small sock and hope it fits the girl and I'm going to buy another (larger) set of dpn's and try this sock again. I may not use the simple stripes though - now that I've figured this fair isle yarn-juggling out I might try with a variegated instead... or else I'll make my own damn stripes.
Hey, don't you have a baby blanket that still needs to be finished?? Isn't that baby going to be here any second? And aren't there, like, three more babies due before the end of September?
Oh shut up. I'm just rolling with it.
Saturday, May 27, 2006
Oh screw it - I'm just gonna roll
Posted by J. Denae at 9:16 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment