BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Work Sucks.

The other student is here today. I really enjoyed not having her here yesterday. She's out running an errand right now, so the office is blissfully quiet.
All day there has been a constant stream of chatter. High-pitched and whiny chatter. When I think about how many hours I have left with her it makes me really sad.

I have been sitting here wondering if this is what real jobs are like. I have had a series of jobs that are more or less non-traditional. Weird hours, different expectations and at the station I am salaried. The expectation being that I get my job done and move on. Here there are long swatches of time when I sit at my desk and do nothing. I surf the internets, I blog, I read, sometimes I knit... but there is no busywork, no list of things that I can do in my downtime.

Is this what real jobs are? It sucks. I know that once I graduate I will be working somewhere with similar expectations in terms of hours... but I hope that there will be more for me to do. I sit here and I think about all of the things that need to be done in other places. I think about the fact that sleeping until 10 or 11 would not at all change my productivity, only my geography. I think about the fact that I have people coming over tonight and my house is still sort of messy and I'm going to have to run around like a crazy person when I get off... and I'm just sitting here. It just feels really inefficient. And wasteful. And I really would rather do anything other than sit at a desk all day.
Yes, even clean.

I'm just whining because I finished my book and I have eaten my lunch and I'm having a really hard time staying awake.

3 comments:

Lara said...

That's what my jobs were like. Ick. You know how great I am with not having anything to do. Which doesn't happen at my house, but at work it did. And I hated it. And we weren't allowed to use the internet for personal stuff.

Cerise said...

That "paid by the hour" nonsense is why I went into academia. You know, where the big bucks are. Ha, ha. I've never tried to figure out if my job is a net gain--I might very well spend more on clothes, lunch, and gas to go to my job than I actually MAKE. And then the college had the nerve to ask me for a donation. My work there is a #$%& donation! Kinda like yours at the VA.

Sally Knitz said...

I like jobs where I stay busy. The empty periods are drudgery.