BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, November 06, 2008

Here She Goes...

So the homemade laundry soap has been such a success that I thought I might branch out a bit...

TURNS OUT that homemade dishwasher soap is even easier to "create" and I already have the ingredients on hand. (Equal parts Borax and washing soda, 2tbsp per load, plus distilled white vinegar in the rinse). Hot Damn! I have 2 little gel pouches of Cascade left, so this is good news indeed.
I am feeling a little Hippy Crunchy about this, but I am poor, poor, poor right now and stretching that dollar is a necessary thing.

I have been following my friend Sally's lead and looking to readjust things in my life that do not fit within my value system.
Which combines nicely with my therapist's mission to get me to value myself. (Ugh. Can't we just talk about my daddy-issues? Or sex? Don't therapists love to talk about sex? I can talk about sex all damn day long, just don't make me "value myself.")

I value my free time, and want spend that free time taking care of myself (because I deserve to be taken care of, ok? Shut up therapist voice, you are interrupting again!!) rather than spending that free time concocting ways around spending money at the grocery store.
In the past, I have justified spending extra money in order to "save time" that could be spent on myself, but it's about time and money these days.

Beyond this temporary poverty, and while I am not a necessarily thrifty gal - that is, it would not phase me at all to drop, say, $2000 over the course of a year on yarn - I am a gal who is very concerned with having the $2000 to drop on yarn. Really, all money spent not on yarn (and travel and lunches out with friends and also massages) is wasted money (stupid mortgage pament). So I am going to be examining my extraneous (ie, not yarn and lunch and massage) expenses and finding low cost, time-efficient ways to change. So while I will not be making my own refried beans (apologies to Anna, but seriously? It's $.89 a can to NOT have to do it yourself) I will be looking for cheap and efficient ways to replace money wasters.

AND, green bonus, these replacements are better for the environment.

So from time to time I'll be posting about these things... because nothing happens unless I blog it, right?!?

6 comments:

Lara said...

I'm seriously impressed with the homemade detergents. I had looked at them before and thought,"Why?" But I didn't realize exactly how cheap it was. You know I do 8 tons of laundry every week and we run a full dishwasher at least once a day. This could save me some serious moolah for $20 a pair sock yarn. ;) Hey, we all have our weaknesses. I'd rather have $20 socks and 75 cent laundry soap than the other way around.

p.s. My verification word not only is a real word, it's "quoted." Funny.

Chandra said...

Homemade refried beans are amazing AND easy. All day or night in a crock pot. Plus, it smells delicious!

I highly recommend it.

Cerise said...

Wow, you already had Borax around the house? And why are you paying so much for refried beans? Ours are like 45 cents. They are cheaper in the ethnic foods aisle.

Anonymous said...

I mentioned the homemade laundry detergent to my husband and he looked at me like I'd grown three more ears. I am going to try it though. Have you tried making replacement covers for the Swiffer dusters? Rav has a pattern. I've made 13 so far. And for the Swiffer sweepers, just cut rectangles of polar fleece...no sewing or finishing needed. I believe I cut mine about 8x11 inches. They pick up critter and human hair very well.

Anonymous said...

I am trying to do the same thing. I have vowed to pack lunches and to stop spending $4 for a latte.

Anonymous said...

A low cost, green eco friendly, healthy natural way to clean dishes is to make a homemade liquid from soapberry which grows on the Chinaberry tree and has been used for thousands of years. It works very effectively.