Several people I know (online and otherwise) are making an effort to eat at home...
This is a challenge for me. It assumes a level of organization and forethought that I don't typically manage.
But I can try!
We did eat at home last night. That bad, bad man brought steaks and we made creamy garlic mashed potatoes and strawberry shortcake... though I couldn't find the little shortcakes so I bought Twinkies instead. (Heh heh heh). It was good. Way good. And I had a conversation about Twinkies with the checker. It went something like this:
Checker: Oh, I love Twinkies.
Me: Uh huh
Checker: I bought another brand once and it just wasn't the same
Me: Yeah, the filling is different and the cake is never as moist
Checker: But there is something else... I just don't know what...
Me: It's the added crack.
Checker: Crack?
Me: Yup. Crack. It's why they're so addictive.
Checker: Oh right! Like Twinkie Crack!!
I should be more careful about talking to strangers.
And I know that the whole "eating at home" philosophy does NOT include Twinkies (unless you make them yourself without HFCS or butter or processed sugar or crack) but baby steps here, people!
I have been trying to remember some of the recipes I used to make... when it was just Bean and I. I stopped cooking things that Bartleby wouldn't eat, which means that for the last 4 years or so all I have been cooking is pasta, hamburgers, chili and grilled cheese sandwiches. More or less. It's no surprise that I stopped having fun in the kitchen... but now the doors are wide open. Frittatas and casseroles and vegetables other than corn, peas and green beans.
Tuesday, May 06, 2008
"Like Twinkie Crack"
Posted by J. Denae at 12:04 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Quesadillas and fajitas are fun and easy.
Of course, my cooking at home challenges are different than yours. I tend to make things that people can assemble themselves, so they can include the things they like and leave out what they don't. And pulverize the vegetables they don't think they like, so they don't know they're in there.
Mmm... and Caesar salads and grilled chicken and anything on the grill, and oh, I have such an awesome recipe for eggplant... and even an eggplant lasagna but I haven't tried that one yet. But I want to!
OH. The next time you come over we should have "what we don't fix when the husband is home" night. heh
Just cuz someone likes Twinkies doesn't mean they're not an idiot. I mean, how smart do you have to be to realize they taste good? I even know a CAT who likes Twinkies. (Yes, she's still alive.) Of course, cats are probably smarter than a lot of people I know.
I totally agree with Lara. Coincidentally, I was going to advise you to invest in a quesadilla grilling machine. I take two low carb wheat tortillas and pile on lunch meat turkey, ham, canned chicken, hamburger, veggies (I like banana peppers) and some cheese and grill in the machine that's similar to a waffle iron. It's easy and so versatile!
Post a Comment