Sooooo... My mother in law's house is titled to her and my father in law, rather than her and/or my father in law. When he died 18 months ago nobody thought to check and there was no probate... so legally the house became 3/4 hers and 1/4 Jeff's. When Jeff died, his 1/4 legally became mine.
Legally I own part of her house.
So now we start probate on his estate and also on Jeff's.
She is freaking out, assuming that I'm out for as much money as I can legally carry away... but even though I'm entitled to it legally, morally it just doesn't feel right. It feels like blood money. Even if we had no problems, even if we were happy and settled when he died I still wouldn't feel like that money was something that I should take. It's hers, and I want no claim to it. I want his debts taken care of, but beyond that I just want to walk away.
I've been trying to walk away. The last six months of my life has been me trying to get my life back and leave all of this behind. Now I'm heading into 6 to 8 months of probate nightmare. 6 to 8 months of paperwork and court appearances.
Our go-between from the funeral is acting as a go-between for all of this. Thank god for her. Were meeting with the lawyer next week to start this process.
I just want this to end.
Tuesday, May 13, 2008
Blood Money
Posted by J. Denae at 9:16 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment