Tuesdays are for knitting. I like Tuesdays. But this week, Wednesday and Thursday are also for knitting. In theory I could knit with friends three whole days in a row. I like the sound of that.
On The Diane Rehm show today one of the guests said that with the rise of technology that teenagers are using there has also been an increase in the numbers of teenage knitters. His theory is that with all of the virtual creativity there is still a need for concrete creativity. I don't disagree. But is there an increase in the numbers of knitters or is it just that there are more places and groups for those knitters to meet?
I enjoyed knitting when I was just knitting dishcloths all by myself. I don't know if I could say that I enjoy knitting more now that I knit in groups, but it does fulfill that need to knit and that need for companionship. Two separate needs fulfilled at the same time - way to multi-task! There is also a certain comfort in spending time with people of the same culture, by which I mean a group of people with a shared language and a shared history. Almost every knitter I have ever met learned to knit by knitting something flat and relatively small. A washcloth, a scarf, whatever. And we all know what I mean when I say something like "I was in the middle of a k2tog on my monkeys and I snapped a dpn." Now read that again pretending that you don't know knitting terms. See? Common language.
See kids, this is what happens when knitters get an appropriate amount of sleep.
Knit on!
Tuesday, September 18, 2007
Knitting Culture
Posted by J. Denae at 2:38 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment