BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Houston, we have a problem...

The internets are back! Woo Hoo!!

Not all of our networks are up, though. Like, the network that allows us to have broadcast logs. That one? Broken. They're making some progress though, it was up for fifteen minutes earlier which allowed me to print out logs through next Thursday. I certainly hope that's long enough. Apparently two air conditioners went down and there are a LOOOOOOT of problems. They're waiting for parts.

Here's the funny part... the Big Boss sent out an email explaining what happened and why and what was being done about it. It was very informative. It also listed all of our servers and what they do. Until now I had only been aware that one of our servers was called "Apollo". The other six are Discovery, Voyager, Columbia, Enterprise, Sputnik and Atlantis. Swear to God. I think I would have felt better if they had gone the other way and used mythological gods and goddesses. At least then the amount of tragedy we could expect from them would be more emotional than physical.

Dude, names are important! Like, how many Katrina's do you think have been born this year??

My head still hurts. Big pokey ball of white-hot hurt bumping around behind my right eye. I'm thinking that I need to try another type of medicine. Not good.

Maybe I'll "low tech" it and get some Excederine Migraine. We can see if that will do anything. I had a nasty headache about 6 months ago and had taken all of the migraine stuff I could take in a 24-hour period so out of desperation I took some Advil. Took about an hour but it was gone. Gone gone, not just lingering in the back waiting to pounce.

I'm craving PB&J. I think Bean and I are going to go to the grocery store during my break at 3.

***************LATER****************

So I went to the store. I bought good things like Cinnamon Life and Rice Chex and Jiff and strawberry jelly and some looks-like-white-bread-but-we-sneaked-in-some-fiber-and-calcium bread. The store is about 5 minutes away from my office. Pretty much everything I need in the world is within 15 minutes of my office. (Yeah, everything but my Hospice office - but I guess even that is just 20 minutes away...)

But I digress.

So I'm at the checkout (I am a self-checker, no sense in bothering people just because I need peanut butter). I am at the part where it asks you to swipe your card when I realize that I have left my wallet on my desk. I ask the nice girl watching over the self-check lanes if I can just enter in my credit card number manually. She's even about to let me when another girl stops her. "Security" issues. Ummmm, I have never - ever - had to sign my credit card slip when using the self-check lane. Not once, not ever. Most places anymore don't require a signature if the charge is less than $25 anyway.

So I said, "I will be RIGHT BACK. Ten minutes, tops, ok?" They nod. "Seriously, right back." I resist the urge to point at my groceries and say "Stay!"
The last time this happened (Oh yes, there was a last time. No learning from past mistakes for this girl! No-siree!) I said I would be back in ten minutes and by the time I got back (in less than ten minutes) they had put BACK all of my groceries. ALL of them. And this was no self-check-20-items-or-less night. This was a real cooking night with fresh herbs and everything. This was a no-list, I'm feeling creative night.

This time my stuff was still there.

So Bean and I had PB&J's for a snack and I'm on the down-hill sprint toward going home. I have an itty bitty air shift and then a quick Avon delivery and then homehomehome.

It reminded me of something funny my Hospice boss said yesterday... we were trying to figure out what my schedule would look like. I said I could come in on Wednesday mornings for the meeting but then I'd have to go. She said, "Oh, you have class on Wednesdays. Wow, that's going to be a long day for you!" I resisted the urge to laugh. She has no idea. I have to leave so I can race to my actual job and work for a few hours, then go to class, then back to work for a few more hours so that I can maintain my 40-hours-plus schedule despite the fact that I am also in school and "volunteering" at Hospice 16 hours a week.
My whole life is long days. That's really why my house is such a mess and I sleep all the time. That's really why my kid spends more time with me at work than she does at home.

0 comments: