BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

I think I can, I think I can...

Got some sleep... looked at a house for a second time (and brought backup). Me? I love the house. My husband and parents walked around it being all critical (realistic), and it is their professional and collective opinion that this is not our house.

Damn it.

"The perfect house will come," said my father.
"You might have to look at 50 houses before you find it," said my mother.
"Don't start crying again, you'll dehydrate," said my husband.

Then we went to dinner and I had cheese fries and root beer. So that's good.

The Funding Source That Must Not Be Named appeared today. That means I can go buy school supplies and my books for this semester. School supplies are good. I have this shopping problem. It's not a HUGE problem... like, I don't have multiple credit cards with maxed out balances and closets full of things I don't need... well, I DO have closets full of things I don't need but that's more of a pack-rat thing. ANYWAY. My problem is like this: I have some extra cash. We'll say it's $100. I go to Target for cat litter, milk and t-shirts for Bean. I get distracted by the dollar aisle. Ten dollars later I'm headed for the book aisle and then I think it would be good to have more glasses because several of our nice drinking glasses have mysteriously disappeared. All of them on days when Bean and the husband were home alone. Hmmmmm. But on the way to the glasses is the stationary aisle and then...
I spend every cent of the extra money.
Or I go online to one of those oh-so-helpful sites that says, "Hey, if you spend just a little more we'll ship it to you for free!" So I spend $15 more dollars to save the $4.50 it would cost to ship.

I am not smart.

It would be nice, thinks my husband, if we actually had the equivalent of three month's salary in our savings account. I thought he was kidding the first time he said it. Seriously. I laughed out loud and then saw the concerned look on his face. I have been living paycheck to paycheck since I got my first $2.50 allowance from my mom.

So now I have to adjust my spending habits.

I can do this.

I can ignore the fact that there is a little extra money in our account. I can. I think.

Hey, I should look on Amazon to see if The Little Engine that Could is still in print...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just got back from Target. Such an evil place... went in for some underwear and came out with folders, dog treats and hairspray!

Lara said...

Target is my downfall. I go in there for cat food and underwear and come out with 10 bags of stuff. Yes, much of it is often groceries, and I never buy anything we won't use, but still. I can never pass by kids' clothing clearance without finding something.

When I had a regular job, I had my direct deposit split, so a certain amount of every check went to savings and the rest went to checking. It's an easy, no-thinking-required way to save. And even $25 a paycheck starts to add up after a while. (Although more is better, of course.)