BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, August 17, 2006

I'm an addict, baby

I have made quite a bit of progress on my "therapy" sock from yesterday. I really love the fiber - it's soy-based. That's so cool. And it's a really pretty shade of blue. (~sigh~).

Last night was our Knit in Public meeting. It was a lot of fun - which I totally needed after yesterday. Not just the morning crazytalk, but then I got a call from Bean's school - the idiot stepmother FORGOT her. Grrr. I had a nice little rant about her at the meeting last night so I will refrain. I thought I'd be less mad today, but somehow? Not so much. The XXX is pleasantly kissing up big time. I'm not a monster and I try not to get mad without provocation - and when I AM mad I try to be calm about it (ask my family: upset + calm = scarymad) and every time he (or she) screws something up he acts like I'm going to scream at him until my head pops off. Tempting, but what's the point? I don't really want to hear why it happened or that they're sorry. I understand that. I just want it fixed. I don't want to have to worry about it.

The half-sock I managed to finish last night was still in my purse this morning at Hospice. I was waiting for my boss to finish a few things before we went to see patients. The sock was just sitting there. All sad and soft. Somehow it made it out of my purse and onto my desk... and I just was going to touch it a little and then put it back in my purse, but I accidentally knitted a row or two. Slowly, three or four surreptitious stitches at a time. I actually considered hiding in the bathroom for ten minutes or so just to get through a pattern repeat. I was getting not-entirely-pleased glances from my boss so I put the sock in my purse. Then I checked on it again, but it didn't come out into the open, I just stroked it a little.

I don't have a problem.
I can quit any time.
Really.

(Just keep knitting, just keep knitting, just keep knitting - anyone seen Finding Nemo? The little "just keep swimming" song that Dory sings? That's me... only with the pointy sticks and string. Knitting into the darkness...)

But really, go here and buy some of this yarn. (K1C2 Wick). I ordered this today:

It's so pretty.
And soon it will be mine.


(~le sigh~)


It's soft and I like the way the fabric feels... I'm doing a basket-weave sock. It's thick and sturdy, and since I have promised Bean socks for a year now, and since part of my need for knitting therapy was also stressful for her I have decided to give my soy socks to her.

So, of course I had to go out and buy more soy yarn.
My husband will not be pleased.
He will scowl at the yarn. He will scowl at me ignoring his scowl. I will knit, happily and quietly, humming ever so softly, "Just keep knitting, just keep knitting, just keep knitting..."

2 comments:

Lara said...

That yarn is sooooo soft. Oh, and now I have to see that it's good for summer? Are you trying to make me go broke? ;) I already spied that sock-of-the-month thing, and may have accidentally joined, and now this? I will resist. (For now . . .)

aija said...

I've heard about the wick but not seen it (thank goodness!) :)