BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, August 14, 2006

In which I prove my engineering capabilities...

... are completely non-existent.

First of all, thanks for your good wishes and prayers - my father in law came through his surgery today and things are actually looking pretty good. We expect him to be home in five or six days, and while he is still very sick he will be much more comfortable.

So, yesterday the Dream Engineer called while I was on the air. He needed me to complete a very simple task. I was to go into the rack room (that's the room where all of the scary expensive stuff that makes the radio work lives) and unhook a doohickey and hook it up to another thing-a-ma-whats-it. He says, it's the blue cord at the back of the... something that sounds like Morrissey.

I didn't think he wanted me unhook something from the actual Morrissey, but who knows with these strange engineer guys. So I go back into the scary rack room and here's what I saw:



Um... not Morrissey. And guys, this is just ONE wall in the room. Seriously.

Also, um, not anything I recognize or want to unplug or anything. I don't do so well with expensive electronic things. I think that my inability to play nice with electronics might actually be one of the reasons that we've been hit by lightning so many times... and why no DVD player I have ever owned works correctly. And why I've burned through three computers in the six years I've been at the station.

So I called Dream Engineer (on my cell phone this time) and said, "I'm really really not a stupid person, but can you explain to me one more time where I need to be looking and what I need to do??"

He walked me through it and it was, in fact, very easy.

Early this morning - 4:30 or so - something in one of the computers in the rack room blew and we were off the air for a couple of hours.

SEE!?! It is TOTALLY me. I should go work on an Amish farm or something. Oh, except I'm not that great with animals, either.

0 comments: