And what am I doing in this handbasket?!?
It's a Wednesday and I am really looking forward to my "sort of" day off tomorrow. It's Thursday Knitting With K (I think... I'd better call her to make sure we're still on). Here's the first inch and a half or so of the second Crusoe sock (it's stranded, ~snort~). Someday I'll find that less funny.
I got a birthday card in the mail yesterday from my friend Kristin!! My first of this birthday season. She lives a few towns away and I haven't seen her since the semester was over - something I plan to remedy soon!! I'm not sure how she knew it was my birthday... unless she's been reading the blog. Fess up Kristin, you cheeky-faced blog-looker! Anyway, I'm thinking Kristin needs new socks in the fall... I might have to fit her in after the Cubby socks but before the "who's getting socks for Christmas" list starts.
Bean needs socks, too. Just look at her:
tucked away behind my desk today, sockless and totally absorbed in The Oregon Trail. (I can't believe they still MAKE that game... though it's much cooler now). She's at work with me today because the husband is making himself pretty - well, getting a haircut and assembling an "interview" outfit - and it just made more sense for her to be with me. The 2-liter of Sprite is not for her... it just happened to be there too. She is showing a great example of the bed nest... ignore the fact that she's not in bed. She has my laptop, games and movies for the laptop, a backpack full of novels and paper, on the other side she has a Nintendo DS and 2 games for the DS. Just beyond the frame of the picture are Cheez-its and her drink. She did not bring any knitting (I don't think... though it could very well be in her backpack) but otherwise she is bed-nesting on the go. I am quite proud. If I pass along nothing else, I want her to know how to plan for long spaces of waiting without boredom. It is entirely possible, if you pack correctly, to be at the DMV or doctor's office or meeting or whatever and still manage to do some of the things you would do if you had the whole day free.
My poor husband - out running every errand in the world that he hates... he didn't have a dentist appointment this week, that would have made it OFFICIALLY the worst week on record. The one real drawback to working where we do is that you really lose your "office" wardrobe (if you had one to begin with. If not, you just don't manage to accumulate one). We're in RADIO so we don't care what you wear to work. Poor husband is going to apply for a job where you can wear jeans, but only on Fridays. And they expect a tie at the interview. He needs to buy a tie. (That errand is for me. I don't trust the color-blind guy who doesn't want to wear a tie to pick one out that will match his blue shirt).
I'm going to have to do some of this pretty soon. Eventually I will graduate and I will have to work in some sort of office and they will probably expect me not to wear pj pants and flip-flops to work. Damn it. My practicum starts in the fall - I wonder what THEY expect me to wear?!? I might have to spend some of my student loan money (the funding source that dare not speak it's name) on office-y clothes. Yuck. I'll probably have to wear makeup, too, and pantyhose... AND not show up with wet hair. That stuff is ok sometimes - going out to dinner or to a party or something - but every day?!?
Great. Now I'm in a crappy mood. It's going to be fun fun fun at my house tonight. Two grown-ups in full-on pout because they don't want to dress like grown-ups.
On the bright side, maybe I'll have some birthday money waiting when I get home - grandparents rock!
0 comments:
Post a Comment