But we're all better now.
One of the hermit crabs (the one Bean named Laze - not a very active crab) died this morning (or last night, we're not really sure). We're wondering if Laze wasn't so much lazy as old. Sebastian, the remaining crab, seems to be holding up well - though after we disposed of the body and thoroughly cleaned the crab pool he was alert and moving around and as I walked toward the crabitat he freaked out and ran backwards over the food dish and back into the corner where he retreated into his shell and remained there until we left. My husband says it's because he thinks I'm a crab-killer.
I'm not a crab killer... I'm a crab undertaker. It was sooooo gross, though. I put on disposable latex gloves to get him out of the crabitat. Bean says she has lost her appetite and will not eat shrimp for a long time. I agree.
I had some comments last night from my expensive yarn for fat girls rant - Jackie pointed out that even skinny girls have to pay a lot of money for sweater yarn. I guess that unless we're making a baby sweater we all have to fork out serious cash for gorgeous sweaters. Anonymous (Eleni's dye pal) left some words of wisdom about substituting yarn. Thanks so much for your input!!
I need to do two things - well, three if you count the lottery!!
1. I need to find a more experienced knitter (or a really good book) and learn more about fiber and substitution.
2. I need to get over it and realize that a hand knitted sweater is not SUPPOSED to be cheap and that you get what you pay for.
I still have the screaming heebie-jeebies from handling the dead crab. I'm not squeamish about much but eww eww eww!!! Dead things bug me.
It's Thursday and that means I'm off to K's house for the afternoon to knit. Woo hoo!! Bean is with me today so she can entertain the babies and we can knit and knit. I have no pictures of the Crusoe sock yet... it hasn't changed much since the last picture - just a little bigger. I have about another inch until I'm on the heel.
Thursday, June 15, 2006
Mourning in the morning
Posted by J. Denae at 12:35 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
1) sorry about the hermit crab
2) i'm LMAO that my dye pal (whom I do know now) left a note on your blog that she was my dye pal, what a riot! check the yarn she sent me, it's fab
Well, I got here from Eleni's blog, and I didn't want anyone connecting the dots, in case one or more of you is super-technical. :)
There is a page in BGK where they talk about how much happier you'll be if you just break down and spend the beaucoup $$$ on a sweater. Granted, I may have a different point of view than most people because I work in a yarn shop, so I'm around The Good Stuff all day long, plus I get a discount, so it costs me less. However, I do see quite a few people who come in to the shop with some project that they've done with cheap yarn, and they're not happy because it doesn't seem as nice as the picture, or they hated knitting with it, or some other complaint that mostly could have been solved if they'd spent a little more on the materials in the first place. So.
And really, now that KnitPicks exists, you CAN get decent yarn for not a lot of money! Excellent.
There's a great article on Knitty here and one of the things they talk about is substituting yarns. Google for "substituting yarn" and you'll get other links. Also, Maggie Riggheti has a chapter in "Sweater Design in Plain English" that's got a lot of good information about choosing yarn for a project. (BTW, if you don't have it, I'd highly recommend this book - it's an excellent resource on so many things about designing your own sweaters, and she's really fun to read as well.) I hope those help you out...I'm not sure where in the midwest you live, but it sounds like you don't have a yarn shop nearby. If you did, that would be a good place to start as well, but you may just have to put out pleas on your blog and hope for the best. ;)
Seriously... I'm moving in next door to Emy.
LOL...well, we do have this futon that's not currently being used.... ;)
Post a Comment