BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, June 23, 2006

TV Confession Time

(In which I lose any and all respect that any of you might have had for me).

I promise that this blog will not become another TV critic blog. I know that nobody really cares what I think about TV shows - if they did I'd be getting paid for it.

Let me start by saying that I am aware that I watch too much TV. I know. But while I watch TV I also read or kit or do homework. But I love stupid sitcoms, I love game shows and judge shows, and I especially love weekly dramas. I was a Sex and the City and Six Feet Under junkie and I love Huff and Big Love - though I managed to miss enough that I'll have to wait for the DVD. I love some of the new shows, too - What About Brian and Windfall. It's no secret that Bean and I have a severe addiction to Gilmore Girls and I have watched ER since Clooney was still walking the halls, and anyone who knows me knows of my unflagging love for Gray's Anatomy. But here's what you don't know... I never watched any of the teen angst dramas. Not 90210, Melrose Place. Not Felicity or Dawson's Creek... I used to think it was because I saw myself as being "above" all of that... but I think it was just that I didn't get into the first season and then thought it was too late. I rarely watch a series that I didn't see from the first episode of the first season... you miss so much of the setup if you're not into it from day one. With the advent of the DVD and the simplicity of Netflix, though, I found myself yearning for some honest-to-god teen angst drama.
By the way - renting a whole season at a time has a lot of advantages. You don't have to wait a whole week for resolution, there are no commercials, and each disc has 4 - 6 episodes on it so it provides a lot of time to knit - much more time than a feature-length film. Try it.
So I started with Dawson. A few months ago I started renting the series and I have to say that while I hate James Van Der Beek as much as the next person I really liked the show. It's mindless and fun and doesn't require anything from me... but I found myself getting emotionally involved anyway. I watched the series finale last night and I cried like an idiot and said the cliched "awwwww" when Joey picked Pacey. (Through the course of the show I managed to pick up a pretty major crush on Joshua Jackson. What's a girl to do?)
I rented the first season of Felicity a few weeks ago and it's pretty disappointing. Maybe the whole Dawson's Creek addiction - now that it's over - was just the teen angst fix I needed. Or maybe it's time to try 90210. Or maybe I should check myself into a clinic of some kind. I think I might really need help. Of course, I will watch the rest of the season, and I might have to rent the next season to see if it gets any better...
So what's with Felicity and the sweaters anyway?!?

TV inspired Friday Favorites:
1. Favorite Episode of Dawson's Creek: Pacey and Joey get locked in a K-Mart. Not only is Dawson not actually in this episode, but we get to see Joey shave Pacey's horrible facial hair and we get to see what a sweetie Pacey is again.
2. Favorite TV comercial: Commercial for some office-supply store - the guy in the commercial has a cat painting a pie chart with it's tail. He says it's a "copy cat" and will save them money on color copies.
3. Favorite activity while watching TV: Duh - knitting, though using my new yarn winder runs a very close second.
4. Favorite TV snack: Cheese and crackers and fruit
5. Favorite way to watch TV: wearing pj's in bed with the husband at home. He is not as much of a TV person as I am so he will come in and watch with me for awhile, then get up and bring me Diet Dr. Pepper and then go back to whatever he was doing. He will also come in periodically to check my Diet Dr. Pepper levels.
6. Favorite late-night channel - it's between Nick at Night and TV Land, depending on what they're airing, but I dig being able to watch Mad About You and Murphy Brown in the middle of the night.
7. Shows I wish would come back: Six Feet Under, NewsRadio, The Homefront

2 comments:

J. Denae said...

I don't know where they are in the season... I saw the first three or four episodes and then got distracted and missed a few. As soon as it's on DVD I'll rent it and we can have a Big Love Fest. We'll distract the kids with cookies and some sort of art project and watch it all!!

Emy said...

I *love* the copy cat!


Also, I was totally addicted to "Felicity" when it was on. I think because I used to have crazy crushes on guys that made me do stupid/wacky stuff, so I could relate. At least I didn't go to college across the country though! :O