BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, June 02, 2006

Some knitting, some story, some favorites...

Here is that fair isle sock that I'm not knitting... It seems to have grown, achieved a heel and finished the side decreases. I seriously think this sock is cursed. First the abandoned, too small sock that preceded it and now I'm knitting without a real pattern. The original pattern had a horrid little heel with no picking up of stitches to start the foot. Phooey on that.

The problem is that the fair isle pattern has to keep going, otherwise you get a big blob of dark blue in the middle of your pretty patterned sock so I am knitting along bravely with no real idea if I'm going to end up with anything wearable.

Then last night at my Knit in Public meeting the pattern blew away. Away away. Like, over the rail into the street and away. Several members offered to go get it for me but, seriously, that's a lot of effort for a $2 pattern that I hate anyway.

So I'm driving away at the end of the meeting and I spied it caught in some grass so I stopped and rescued it. Of course, now there's no reason not to keep moving forward with this bastard sock. (~le sigh~). I hope some other project doesn't get in the way and distract me from finishing... Wait a minute, what's that?


Why, it's the beginning of a log cabin baby blanket as described in Mason Dixon Knitting. Imagine that!
It's hard to see from the picture but the colors are dark blue, light yellow, mint green and light blue. The next color stripe will be white and then I'll continue in that order until it is roughly "wrap the baby" size and it will (with any luck) be done before the baby is. Here's the problem... all of that changing of color nonsense is pretty and all, but you know how much I love to sew in the ends, right?


So the electrolysis...
First of all, it's not that painful so don't be such a big baby. I know the whole "First we insert an needle into the follicle" part sounds really bad, (like, really really bad) but you don't feel it until the electricity hits and then it's really just a little "ping" and then it's over. There were a few places that made this little hum all the way to my toes but when we hit a spot like that she'd do one and then move to another area and then come back and do another one. I would say "no sweat" but I was seriously sweating. I think it was just in anticipation - for part of it I was wearing those odd goggles you wear when you tan (not that I tan - and neither should you, cancer aside, it makes your skin leathery and icky I don't care how much cocoa butter you use) so I couldn't see anything. The other worrying thing was that I am actually allergic to certain kinds of metal (I don't often wear earrings because after about 30 minutes I want to rip them out of my ears and scraaaaaaatch) but so far I haven't had any kind of reaction. I don't think I could stand more than 30 minutes or so at a time because it really is sort of annoying after awhile, but all in all I think it was a great thing. I will be going back every 2 weeks or so until it's gone.

Friday Favorites
(I know it's supposed to be Thursday Favorites but what are you, my boss?)

Favorite Nail Polish (name and color): OPI "I'm Not Really a Waitress" (I promise, I'll stop using the fun colors while I type)

Favorite fruit: Banana - everything you need in a kicky yellow wrapper

Favorite embarrassing movie that I want to see: "The Lake House". I know. It's like the Miller Light version of The Time Traveler's Wife... You know, that's still the thing that pisses me off so much about the whole Pitt/Anniston/Jolie situation - Jen and Brad had a movie production company and had purchased the rights to The Time Traveler's Wife and I was really excited about it and now what? Pitt's an ass-clown. (Yes, I'm aware that they're not making decisions in their personal lives based on what movie I want to see but until any of them calls me to talk about what happened and actually personally involve me in their Lifetime Movie of the Week all I care about is that a movie that I want to see isn't being made because Pitt couldn't keep his marriage together for, what, eighteen more months?? He can rot in hell.
(But seriously, Jen, call me!!)

Favorite sport: Tennis - We bought Bean her first tennis racket (racquet? neither look right, though dictionary.com says both are fine) today. She starts lessons next week. I think I'm more excited than she is but I'm really hoping that we can find SOMETHING active that she'll like to do.

Favorite D'oh! moment: My work spouse and I were supposed to go to our book club tonight. She stayed up really late last night to finish it and then this morning she got a really beautiful floral delivery. It's her wedding anniversary. Oops. Work spouse says she didn't actually forget it was her anniversary. She knew her anniversary was the 2nd and she knew it was the 2nd but she just didn't put the two things together in her head. Don't try this at home.


So I'm off to discuss Wicked and Son of a Witch (which I finished before noon today, btw. Yay me).

2 comments:

Eleni said...

I have to say, I haven't tried the electolysis, but the laser has been awesome. I have almost completed the treatment for my hirsute chin and I am thrilled. I'm Greek-Italian but pale and blonde and YET jet black hair grows out of my face like a swarthy pirate. Where's the justice? If the elec. doesn't work, try the laser.

Laura said...

Hi Jill, I found your blog via your reference to losing the FI pattern on the Wichita KIP site. Your sock looks great - what pattern are you using? It looks a lot like the FI sock from knitpicks that they sent out with their palette fair isle cardigan pattern, which I did purchase. I'm collecting the palette colors and will be doing a knitalong for the cardigan and socks this fall! I'm working on my first FI sock pattern right now - pictures on my blog. I hope you don't get too discouraged - the sock looks really pretty. I'd love to see it if I ever get to one of the KIP meetups. :)