BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

And another thing...

Book update...
(See what happens when I don't blog for awhile?!?)

I noticed that I have been lagging behind my Blog Friend in terms of reading. She's on book 23.
I finished Such a Pretty Fat by Jen Lancaster(18). Still love her, and her new book is coming soon!!! We all have our fake boyfriends - like Ewan McGregor secretly loves me and wants to marry me - Jen is my secret best friend. (Call me, Jen!! SBFF!!)

I also finished another Alice Hoffman book, Blackbird House(19) (Really, really good) and I read a galley of a book that's not published yet called The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe(20). The publisher sent me an advance copy through Watermark - I think because of the Literary Feast.

Here's my mini-review:
Overall this is a good book - the story is engaging and the history is interesting. I did find that the "back story" about the life of Deliverance Dane was more interesting than what was going on with the current-day main character, so I wanted so much more of that. Also, I have a real issue with writing in dialect and there is a LOT of it in this book. But Katherine is a good writer and the characters are interesting and fleshed out enough. There was no "mystery" to it, though I think there was supposed to be, and the things that were meant to be revelations in the end weren't all that shocking to me... but the journey of this book is so worth any disappointments in the end. I am looking forward to what Katherine Howe has for us next.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a MUCH busier life than I, and you still finish an impressive amount of books.