I was not going to post today - what with it being Christmas Eve and all... I'm just not in the holiday spirit. This is nothing new for me, but this year it is particularly bad.
Let's just say that if you talk to me between now and, oh, December 27th I'll probably have a Xanax-smile on my face and if we make plans I won't reliably remember them.
BUT, the book-fairy left me a copy of the new Sweet Potato Queens book and I came across this passage, "I don't care if Sean Connery is signing thighs and giving away free Fendi bags - if it's nap time, you need to plan on catching Sean next time he's in town. Again I say, nap time is sacred..."
A-FREAKING-MEN, sister.
So my Christmas present to myself (and all of you) is permission to nap. Plan it out. Make a date with your blankie and tell everyone around you that you are NOT TO BE DISTURBED for at least an hour, ideally three or four. And the truth about naps is that they don't necessarily have to include actual sleep! Remember when your babies were little and you didn't care if they were in their cribs plotting world domination as long as they were quiet and safe and didn't need anything for an hour? Just have a little snack and put yourself down for a nap. Read something, knit something, watch something, stretch out over the whole bed and breathe for an hour. Hire someone to walk around the house saying, "Hush, she's sleeping!" if you have to.
And if you feel cranky when you wake up, have some graham crackers and apple juice... or vodka and cranberry juice, whatever works.
Monday, December 24, 2007
Christmas Napping
Posted by J. Denae at 1:50 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Apple juice is nice with some rum in it. ;)
Hey, a "great minds" moment. Just this weekend, during the blizzard of '07, I sketched out my daily schedules for the new year. Nap time was included. Every day.
Criminy, it happens anyway, I'm just finally protecting it from Others.
I'm with you on the naps!!
Hey I just woke up from a nap and I plan on doing it everyday till I have to go back to my regular life in January.
Post a Comment