That's what my mom said when she picked Bean up tonight. I'm wearing my new Christmas clothes... purchased with the many gift certificates I got from Lane Bryant. (Do people know me or what?!?). I guess the only thing she ever sees me wear is pajamas (especially lately) and jeans. Well, I've got some grown up clothes now and I'm not afraid to wear them. I am afraid to spill something on them, though.
Why am I so dressed up and out on the town on a Friday evening? It's the first Friday of the month and it's book club night. I'm really looking forward to this one - I don't know that I "got" the book, but it was really well written and I am interested in seeing what everyone else thought. The next book is Thomas Pynchon's new book Against The Day, which is apparently a thousand pages of crazy. We're reading it over two months. I'm more than a little intimidated. I tried to start it a few weeks ago, but with all of the grieving and eating and sleeping going on at my house, not to mention the kitten nonsense, it was difficult to concentrate. This feels like one of those books that you really need to absorb. I think it's good that we didn't start it for January - I don't know that anyone had time to really spend with it over the holidays.
Everyone I've talked to says the holidays this year were particularly difficult/stressful/tiring. Interesting that so many of us had the same type of year. With any luck 2007 will be better... it's ok so far, but we're only five days in. 2006 seemed fine and dandy five days in, now didn't it? (Actually, no, but that's another story).
I have managed to ignore every good food intention I have had so far this year. Bean and I went to the bread store yesterday. It's this little bakery just down the street from her school and they have the best bread in the world. Their cookies don't suck, either. We used to go in every Wednesday and then we got busy and then we moved and then, and then, and then... but we still manage to go every so often. When we walk in we're greeted like family and the woman behind the counter practically forces us to sit and sample bread. We drink milk and eat slices of fresh bread with (real) butter and we talk to her. And somehow we end up buying cookies and bread and scones and jam. This morning for breakfast I had honey wheat bread with apple cranberry butter. Seriously. And we bought this sun dried tomato bread that is fantastic with cream cheese and cucumbers... or with sharp cheddar and turkey... or all by it's self. (~le sigh~)
Today was officially my last stay in bed like a sick person" day. Hospice starts on Monday and classes start the following Wednesday. I have bid for two of my books on Ebay... if I just go to the bookstore I'll spend more than $175 for two books. (I know, right?) But on Ebay I can (potentially) get them $75 for both. Love Ebay. Sometimes a little too much.
Well, I'm off to try to sound smarter than I really am... in general this involves me not saying anything and nodding thoughtfully a lot and then saying, "Good point, does anyone else want to elaborate on that thought?"
I guess I really am supposed to be a therapist.
Friday, January 05, 2007
"You look like a grown up!"
Posted by J. Denae at 6:24 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
I know what you mean about feeling good about getting out of pjs... :) I'm glad you mentioned the new Pynchon book, I hadn't heard he had a new one, so I just requested it from the library :)
Post a Comment