It's 16 degrees outside and sleet is falling... encasing my car in a sheet of ice. I hate sleet. I don't mind the driving around in it - I'm a pretty good driver and I have that evil SUV that has great traction and can also drive over everyone else. What I hate is being cold. I also hate the scritchy sound of ice being scraped from my windows.
If I were home, contemplating the possibility of fashioning a stew of some sort from the contents of my pantry, I would be happy enough with the sleet. If I did not have to be at work tomorrow morning before sunrise I would be happy enough with the sleet. I would make my stew and snuggle down with my sick kitten and watch bad TV.
But I am at work. Of course. I did contemplate bringing a sleeping bag and just living here this weekend... but there is no shower at the station. And also? Thursday I saw the biggest cockroach I have ever seen loitering in front of the door. Seriously. I lived in Alabama and this was still the biggest roach. It was, like, 2 1/2 inches long. I have witnesses. (I also took a picture of it, but there is nothing to show scale so it's not that impressive). I was actually afraid to open the door because I thought it might attack me. Or it might have been a scout and given some signal to a band of roving roaches.
Or something.
So we had my mother's birthday dinner last night. It was fine. My (idiot) sister came and brought the kids so that was nice. I haven't seen any of them since September. They all changed a lot - especially the baby, of course. He is a fat, happy little spitter-upper. I was there early (of course) and she was on time and my parents were about 15 minutes late. So we had a nice, polite conversation that managed not to devolve into hair pulling and screaming. And apparently she did marry that asshole. At the end of October. That's showing us you're a grown up! Marry the guy we hate in secret and then HIDE it for 3 months. Whatever. At least she didn't tell us before she got married. It certainly saved me about seven hundred "what are we going to do about your sister" calls. Tell you what I'm going to do - I'm going to buy her a Target gift certificate and mail it to her in a nice card. I don't think she is making good decisions. In fact, I think she's a fucking idiot... but everyone has the right to make their own bad decisions. The least (and I mean the very least) I can do is buy her a wedding present.
I am knitting!! I decided I need a long, skinny scarf to wear with my pajamas for my party so I am using this fabulous sock yarn that I got in the KIP yarn exchange (thanks Ingrid!!) and knitting a long, 10 stitches per row (after row, after row, after row) of garter stitch. It's fast, it's colorful and it's simple. (Yay).
I would post a picture, but it looks pretty boring. It's like a striped pink and red blanket for a really long snake.
Saturday, January 13, 2007
Ice, Ice Baby too Cold...
Posted by J. Denae at 11:03 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment