BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Against the Friday

I have read 200 of the 500 pages I need to finish by Friday at 7:00. Fuck.

Thomas Pynchon's new book (all 1000 pages/3 pounds of it) is good, don't get me wrong, but it is not in any way a quick, easy read. It is also not a book you can read without a dictionary. And a lot of caffeine. And more time. And more discipline. This book is causing me to want to clean my room. And fold laundry. But maybe it's the fact that I don't actually have time to finish the last 300 pages and clean my room and fold laundry that is causing these urges. I will be any of you a hundred million dollars that Friday night when I get home from the discussion that I will no longer feel the urge to clean or fold. And Saturday I will be napping. Oh, and Sunday as well.
It is no secret that I am not an effective time manager. I am more of a procrastinator/sleeper type. More of a "there's always time tomorrow" type of person. And I apparently have some form of ADD. (Look, something shiny! Oh, and The Soup is on! Cool!! Do we have any Pop Tarts? I could go to the store!)

Speaking of going to the store, the Sharpies that I HAD TO BUY for the party? Still in the package. Of course. I don't know exactly why I thought I needed them so much - though there were a few times when I wasn't sure what had happened to my tea... having my name on my plastic cup would maybe have been a good idea.

We have discovered that Sammie, while sweet and loving, is not the sharpest crayola in the 64-pack. She has jumped into the shower and gotten wet and been really confused about it THREE times today. (The good news is that everyone in my family actually took a shower today - a sign that the cloud of depression hovering over my house for the past few months is starting to lift a little). I don't know what to think about poor Sammie, though. I can't figure out why she can't figure it out... Poor dumb kitten. At least she has her looks and a hell of a personality.

More snow tomorrow. AP reported 1 inch accumulation and then changed it in the afternoon to 1-4 inches. I used to laugh about those predictions as we almost never get that much snow. 1 - 4 inches of ice? Sure, but not so much with the snow. But this year has been different. My mother in law (who is, of course, crazy) said that if the first snowfall is on the 30th you're in for 30 snows before spring. I don't know about that, but the first snow of this winter was on the 30th of November. I know because that was the day I was moving the rest of our crap out of the old house and trying to clean. Every time I made a trip between houses I'd have to knock snow from the truck.

Full day of classes tomorrow and then off to work... and there is a knitting meeting tomorrow evening that I will not be going to. Unless I can somehow read 200 more pages before 6 tomorrow evening. I asked, but my Magic 8 Ball won't even respond to that question, there's just a blank window and this low, watery chuckle. (Good Christ, I believe that this Pynchon business is rubbing off on me somehow).

Small things that made me happy today:
The engineer at work arranged Dove Chocolates on the keyboard on my desk.
Bean and I cuddled in bed watching Gilmore Girls.
There were still some almonds left in the mixed nuts from the party.
Jon Stewart is adorable. And funny.
Lara left the diet A&W Root Beer she brought to the party. Mmmmm. Creamy.
Listening to Joan Osborne on my iPod.

0 comments: