BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Late and Poor

Remember the opening scene in Four Weddings and a Funeral?
My day started out like that, only with more cursing. Much more cursing.
I set up the automation to cover all of the breaks in the 6 o'clock hour so that I could sleep in a little bit and not have to be at work until 7. I woke up at 7:25.
No dead air, the programs rolled along nicely, there just wasn't anyone to read the underwriters and day sponsors and the weather... which is sort of important. Oh, and I don't have anything to knit. Or read. So all I can do is, like, work and stuff.

I also paid some bills this morning. More cursing. Much more cursing. I hate our cell phones. Hate them. We have until the middle of November before we can get new phones or change our plan. We have the "share 500 minutes" plan and we don't have a home phone. Until about 4 months ago this was sufficient. Now, we're going over our allowable minutes by 150-ish a month and it's freaking expensive. BUT if I change the plan to, I don't know, "share 700 minutes" we have 2 more years before we can get new phones. If I had known the first time the bill was so large that the increase in our bills would be greater than the cost of new phones I might have just changed the plan and paid full price for the phones. Poop on a stick. Now it's too late and we have exactly 34 days before we can get new phones and change our plan again. But, I'm smart. (S-M-R-T). We're going to do the "buy this phone for $30 get up to 4 more for free" thing and instead of just getting the one free phone we're going to get all 4 so that we have backup phones just waiting for the primary phones to break in half. (Unless, of course, we have to activate those phones as part of the program, in which case we'll just set up a 'replace that fucking phone' fund).

Wow. More about my cell phone. I really need a life.

Signs that you might be a new home owner:
1) You're in WalMart and you spend more time in the hardware section than all other sections put together.
2) You get really excited and call your husband, three friends and your mom when you find a really inexpensive product specifically designed to easily clean vinyl siding.
3) The insurance inspector mentions that your hardwood floors are really shiny and you feel the same sort of pride that you feel when someone says how smart and well-behaved your child is.
4) You read the entire insurance policy. You contemplate framing it. Mostly because the stuff they're talking about belongs entirely to you.

I did buy some house supplies last night. (And by 'some' I mean a lot). I'm going over to clean and scrape wallpaper. Among the supplies are trash bags (look at me planning to clean), toilet paper (you only have to learn that lesson once), Strawberry Newtons (let her eat cake - with fruit), and a new blue boombox (jump around, jump around, jump up jump up and get down). I did not yet buy paint because I'm still not entirely sure what I want to do about that. The trim in the entire house needs to be done, but that should be done last for several reasons. The paint in our bedroom is not purple, but the paint is in good shape and would look fine with our bedspread. The living room is a fantastic shade of green, but the idiots patched a place in the wall and then painted over the patch with a much darker color. Bean said she wants each wall to be a different color - pink, purple, blue and green - but I'm going to try to convince her to paint a wall yellow instead blue. And the den... oh, the den. I want to paint it a darker blue, but there's this paneling halfway down and it wasn't put up very well so I really SHOULD rip it down and sand the wall and make it all nice. (Translation: go to Home Depot, spend eleventy billion dollars and then spend a weekend focusing on that nightmare). Oh, and the den needs new carpet, also. What I WANT to do is paint the shit and move in. I think I'll just keep a list and just go from project to project.

(Kerri?? Lara?? HELP!?!?!?!?)

There is a risk there of not finishing anything. I know that. But the husband took some time off in the last few weeks which means smaller paychecks and we still have to pay the movers, buy a fridge and sinks and still, somehow, manage to pay our bills. Eventually we'll settle and then we really will be better off financially but right now I'm wishing I had not gone to Starbucks so many times in the last few weeks and that I had cooked at home more even though I have been so tired. Oh, and the Options Needles that I will probably receive on Monday may not have been the best idea, either. Sigh.

BUT, onward and upward. I will spend the bulk of the day at the new house and I WILL be taking pictures so I will post a few soon. Anyone want to help scrape and paint? Anyone?? Didn't think so. Oh well.

1 comments:

Lara said...

I'm buying knitpicks options needles when our house sells. I don't care if our new house payment is $200 more a month than the current one. I'm getting a reward for all this pain and agony, dangit!