Check out this cool website - what a fantastic idea! I found it on this blog, a lovely look at the unending search for small things that bring joy. I'm going to buy postcards after work...
Well, first I'm going to go home and put on some proper clothes, then I'm going in search of postcards. Bean and I were sort of groggy this morning at 5:30, so we decided to just brush our teeth and pack some breakfast and come to the radio station in our pj's. (Mine are purple with penguins, Bean's are grey with little white flowers). There is a lot to be said for hanging out in your jammies at work. Eating cereal. Blogging. I would, of course, rather still be asleep in my comfy bed but this is not a bad alternative. Bean is asleep on the floor by my desk. We bring a beanbag chair and a sleeping bag when she has to come in early with me. She can usually sleep for another couple of hours that way and I don't have to feel quite so guilty.
We have been wearing pj's to work for as long as I've worked here. She's been sleeping here most of her life.
When she was four or five I was training two new board ops early in the morning. She was wearing pink feet-in pajamas, asleep in the next room. They didn't even know she was in there, we had gotten to work before either of them. A few hours into the shift she came stumbling in, rubbing her eyes, all sleepy with a blanket in her hand and walked right over to one of them with her arms outstretched. It's reflex I guess, that makes you hold your arms out to a child in return. Without any hesitation she climbed right up into his lap, settled her head on his chest and drifted back to sleep. He had this look of surprise (and a little fear - this was the closest he had been to a small child since he was a small child) but he held her, alowed her to settle in as though he would sit like that as long as she needed him to. It was really sweet. I took her from him and we all had a good laugh about it. Bean cuddled with me for a few minutes and then went back into the next room to play. I married that guy two years ago tomorrow.
He says he never thought he would get married or have kids. His friends were starting to settle down and nothing about their relationships seemed worth the bother of meeting someone and dating and going through the whole self-disclosure risk. (Looking at his friends and their partners I can understand the hesitation). Our relationship was a surprise to both of us. It was entirely the product of the right place at the right time, entirely owed to the ability to suddenly see someone in a different way, to not rely entirely on assumptions.
We close on our house tomorrow, our second anniversary. We're both sort of waiting for the rug to get pulled away, to fall on our asses. We can't possible be doing something this grown up. We're thirty. We're married, we have a ten year old, we have jobs and bills and responsibilities and yet this act of joint ownership seems so much more indicative of our adulthood. It's certainly a marker of how sure we are about our life together, about each other. It's certainly a financial leap of faith.
Keep us in your thoughts tomorrow afternoon as we sign the eighty million pages of documents. We'll be celebrating our anniversary and our house tomorrow night!!
Sunday, October 08, 2006
Posted by J. Denae at 9:17 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
congrats, congrats, congrats!!!!
What a sweet story to share on your (early) anniversary. Good luck with the signing! :)
Happy anniversary and congrats on the house! How exciting!
Post a Comment