BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Bramble Stitch (A Purely Knitterly Post)

I don't know why I like bramble stitch so much... but it's interesting. The way the wrong side is really the right side and you alternate between making one stitch become three and three stitches become one. The nubby little clusters that don't look like anything at all, but when you block it suddenly there are little flowers.

Anyway... I'm on a bramble stitch part of my super-secret knitting project and it's making me happy.

Thanks to Laura (SugarBunny) for reminding me that if I am ever going to finish this project I need to, you know, work on it instead of knitting socks.

Are there bramble stitch socks?!? Hmmmmmmmmm.....
(Not now! No more new projects now!!)

I am working to catch up on the On Your Toes sock-of-the-month club and over the weekend I managed to finish the April socks as well as half of the May pair. I also have my super-secret project, the Ernie sweater (tick, tick, tick) and two sweaters for me that are waiting patiently... and also I started another dream weaver headband.

It's a sickness.

I sat in Twist this weekend listening to people discuss WIPs and stash... and it's interesting how much of yourself you can reveal through your yarny habits. For example, I have so many WIPs that I don't even remember all of them. I have no idea where some of them are and should probably frog about half of what's on my needles and re-appropriate the yarn. But somehow that doesn't stop me from casting on new projects left and right as though there are NOT a limited number of hours in a day.

And stash, sweet lovely stash.
Did you know that there are some knitters who buy only what yarn they need for a specific project, and then complete that project before buying more yarn?!?
It makes me feel icky just thinking about it.
I mean, there are just things that you should always have in abundance around the house... toilet paper, peanut butter and yarn are pretty much my top three. (With toothpaste and soap rounding out my top five).

We all know that I am a spender. I have not ever tallied my yearly output - frightening to even contemplate, non? - but if I had to estimate last year's totals just on yarn I would say that it might fall within the $1500 - $2000 range.
I know. I KNOW.
I'm better now. Or at least less solvent and therefore less likely to spend.
But last year's desperate stashing makes for this year's calm knitting.

OK. Enough of this chatter. Now back to my regularly scheduled knitting.

3 comments:

Cerise said...

No, I don't believe it. There are NO knitters who only buy the yarn they need for a project, then finish that project before they buy more. There is no such thing. Can we see pics of the headband?

Anonymous said...

Never trust someone who only buys enough yarn for one project at a time and doesn't buy anymore until s/he finishes the first. It's just not healthy.

Rhonda said...

Holy Smokes Girl!

We REALLY must have been separated at birth. Not only do we have the same wicked humor, love of brambleberry stitch and MANY projects on the needles, but we are both keeping the yarn world afloat..

Yeah!