My daughter likes a boy.
You know... in that way.
And he's a very nice boy who comes from a very nice family. A very nice family who knits.
But he's still a boy, and the mom in me is twitchy about this. Outwardly I am calm and "cool mom," right? But inside my hair is completely white and I am hyperventilating. I feel like I'm almost at the top of the roller coaster and my car is steadily closer to the point where I lose all control and am at the mercy of gravity, engineering and a whole bunch of bolts.
I was pretty calm about it last night. On the outside. She was talking with him and laughing and setting off all of my alerts. Inside I was screaming, "Step away from the boy!!!"
Once we got home she said, "Don't worry, mom, I feel about him the way that you feel about That Bad, Bad Man!"
THIS DOES NOT MAKE THE MOMMY FEEL BETTER!!
NOT AT ALL!!
I wanted to say, "Oh, honey, no you don't." But I remember my mother scoffing at my puppy love and so I said nothing.
I think the twitch in my eye said it all.
On the other hand, it might also mean that she is fairly insulated from that part of my relationship with That Bad, Bad Man. You know, in that she sees it so casually.
Right?
Sigh.
I made it very clear that if she and this boy should start (a-hem) "going together" or whatever the kids are calling it these days, and something should happen and they should break up that she was just going to have to suck it up and understand that I was still going to be hanging out with his family and that she could sit her happy ass in the car while I knitted if she couldn't be in the same room with him.
She said, "Oh I think if we broke up or something that we would be friends."
Isn't that just the cutest thing you've ever heard?
(Snort).
Friday, October 24, 2008
A Boy.
Posted by J. Denae at 1:13 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Going together. Heh.
E keeps mentioning her friends' boyfriends and I keep saying, "Why do 8th graders have boyfriends?" Ick. :p
It's all coming. Like a tidal wave. We are helpless to stop it, but we can delude ourselves into thinking we can direct it.
Woooooah! That doesn't seem possible.
Post a Comment