BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Overlap

Sarah Vowell was in town last night... And there were so many knitters there!! I am used to running into a lot of people I know through the radio station at events like this, but when the knitting part of my life and the literary part of my life overlap with the public radio part of my life it just makes me feel like everything is good and it all makes sense. (Makes me feel like a big snob... but what's a girl to do?)

I am going to miss the public radio culture when I'm not there anymore. I mean, sure I'll still be at some of the events (probably more since it won't be a mandate - despite the fact that I will have to start paying to get in to stuff) but I will be there as a listener rather than a representative. I like being "on the inside."
It makes me feel cool.
Pathetic, but cool.

Speaking of pathetic... it's Thursday and at the Vet Center Thursday is the day that the woman who owns the vending machine changes out all of the snacks. It's pathetic that I look forward to this... but she always puts different stuff in and it's all consistently good stuff!! And 2 weeks ago she added diet A&W Root Beer, making her officially one of my favorite people (in the snacking part of my life).
I would like to own a vending machine.
I don't know where I'd put it... but how great is that? To bring mid-afternoon chocolate and/or salt to weary office-workers. Sigh.

Sally and Shelly have started working on the Clapotis... and it makes me want another one. I loved knitting it, but I never wear it. I made mine wider and longer than the pattern called for. Mostly because I am a little wider and longer than Veronik Avery. When I washed it the yarn bloomed a little bit and now this thing is freaking huge!! But it makes a quite toasty wrap and it's so soft that I feel like I have a security blanket. (So much so that I am tempted to just tie it around my neck like a superhero cape... Well what did YOU do with your security blanket during the day? Mine was a cape). So today I'm wearing it... and it's soft and smells good and that makes me happy.

There's an Ani DiFranco song called *Overlap that has been at the top of my playlist lately...for a variety of reasons. I love finding connection and overlap in the positive things in my life. It's reassuring and validating. There is absolutely a need for diversification - in interests and friends and passtimes, but sometimes (like last night) things just come together.
So today I will leave you with a line from the song:
'Cause I know there is strength in the differences between us
and I know there is comfort where we overlap.


*If you're one of those blog readers (like I am) who goes looking for this song on iTunes or something my favorite version is the bluesy, slow, live version from Living in Clip. I'm just saying.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

that is surely the best versions of overlap that i've heard too. too bad ani doesn't visit wichita- at least she never came closer than lawrence when i lived there. we just saw her a couple of weeks ago and the show was one of her best.

another one of my favs is providence... Ooo and done wrong... Ooo and, well, i could go on for way longer than i should.

i enjoy your blog... it cracks me up and inspires me all at the same time. not to mention that we have a mutual friend in sally. =)

Anonymous said...

I love my Clapotis, too. I wore it throughout my honeymoon.