It's Easter and I'm at work. Yay.
I'm off at noon, though and I have some eggs to stuff and some garlic dip to make and then I'm going to my parent's house for an "Easter Do." My mom's aunt used to call getting together in an organized way a "Do," as in, "Easter is a week away, are we having a do?" and "Mom, what should I bring to the do?" In conversation with my family it seems totally normal, but writing it makes it seem sort of odd. But families do that, don't they. We all have some sort of odd shorthand or phraseology that is specific to a family or group of friends.
It seems obvious that we would have a do on, you know, Easter, or someones birthday or something, but we are all crackheads and it always seems to come as a surprise. Every year. It's like the week before Easter and everyone is playing phone tag with everyone else trying to figure out what the plan is. And the plan is always pretty much the same. With the exception of Christmas we get together on the Sunday closest to the event and we meet at mom and dad's at 1 or so and we eat at 2 or so and I bring garlic dip and crackers and some kind of dessert. this year I'm bringing stuffed eggs instead of dessert, so that's new. My sister makes really good stuffed eggs so I'm not sure why she wasn't asked to bring them.
Ok, that's a big lie. It was because they aren't sure if she's coming at all and they want the freaking eggs.
I have 2 dozed hard boiled eggs in my fridge now - I thought they'd be easier to transport if I cooked them last night and then unpeeled and stuffed them at mom's. But 2 dozen? What the hell was I thinking? That's 48 halves. We'll all be sick!
I think I'll keep 6 at home for tuna salad. Bean will be so pleased.
Yesterday afternoon Bean and my mom and I "blew eggs" - you poke holes in the top and bottom of a raw egg and then blow the egg out of the shell. We were going to save the egg and make quiche but then we realized that we were sort of spitting all over the egg yuck and that we should rethink that idea. We cleaned the eggs and then painted them with watercolors. It really was fun.
In the spirit of Easter I really do want a little bunny. You can box-train bunnies and they're so cute and soft and I don't think the cats would mind, do you?
Um....
I am a month away from my first blogiversary. Wow.
In the spirit of community and reader adoration (and in a blatant copy of my blogging friends) I'm having a contest. There will be a prize...
Tuesday I'll be posting a "quiz" - the answers to which can be found in this blog. My "official" one-year mark is May7th, so I'll post the winner on the 7th. Email answers to me at: napknitter at gmail dot com.
Sunday, April 08, 2007
Hip, Hop Happy Easter
Posted by J. Denae at 10:39 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment