In answer to the comments:
Donna- our bedroom is very cold and we're not entirely sure why. It's not "see your breath" cold, but it is colder than the rest of the house. We have theories... the heater vent is not well placed - and there is only one. Also, the windows and siding on our house are old and need to be replaced and our room has three windows. My friend Andie's husband said that the warm air was hitting the windows and cooling rapidly causing what feels like a breeze in the room. I am inclined to agree with him, as the thermal curtains have made a HUGE difference. New siding and windows are on my list of house priorities.
Lara- I hadn't thought about it that way... going to sock camp DOES mean less money for yarn.
I feel totally better about not going... and also entitled to spend more money on yarn. Score!
Not going also means a less pouty husband. He feels like I "get to go everywhere" and he has to stay home. True, in the four years we've been together I've been to Chicago, New Orleans, Disney World, Austin, St. Louis, upstate New York and L.A. All without him. On the other hand; four of those trips were for work, one was for a wedding and the Chicago trip was an over-nighter. AND I haven't been anywhere in the last eighteen months or so! So we have decided to plan a trip together and include yarn shopping for me and a baseball game for him.
We're thinking late May - his birthday is at the end of May and mine is in the middle of June - and The Cubs just happen to be playing a home game on his birthday. There's other stuff to do in Chicago, right?!?
I'm getting excited just thinking about it. We didn't even go on a honeymoon because we were both working for the station and couldn't get away at the same time, so this is our belated honeymoon. Cool.
But someone has to help me figure out the "rules for flying with knitting needles" as I haven't flown since I picked up the habit again and while I don't remember what I did on the plane before I was carrying needles full-time (I have a vague memory of carrying six or seven books in my carry-on bag) I do know that I MUST have a sock with me on the plane, if only to photograph in progress a la The Yarn Harlot. I can see that my Knitpicks sharp-as-hell metal needles might be problematic... but what about bamboo? And is there a length issue? I have a set of the stubby needles but I've never used them...
I have time to obsess about this. It's February, after all. Our alleged vacation is MONTHS away.
I am so tired. I couldn't sleep last night and while flipping though the movie channels last night (after SNL, by the way) I saw that Saw II was on. Rather than thinking, "Hmmm, I ought to record that because right now the responsible thing to do is sleep since I have to get up at 5," I thought, "Cool, I haven't seen that yet!" Then I ate half a box of Girl Scout Cookies (peanut butter sandwiches, dipped in milk) and googled yarn shops in Chicago. At 3 I thought, "Girl, you are not twenty. Sleep you idiot, sleep!" So I slept for a few hours and now I'm drinking coffee (with vanilla soy milk in it) and waiting for it to be time to go. There is a big sale at my favorite bookstore so my friend S and I are meeting for lunch and then we're going to buy books. And then I am going home to my dark room and flannel sheets.
If you are a coffee drinker and you like cream in your coffee and you haven't tried soy milk this is the way to go. I am drinking more coffee now, because it tastes so good, but that means I am ALSO getting more soy. Win/win! I tried to get my family to switch to soy milk full-time but it was a no-go. I know, the time to convince your kids that soy milk and soy hot dogs are good is when they're babies and don't know any better. Oh, and it also helps if your husband doesn't wrinkle his nose and say, in a loud and fairly petulant tone, "I am not eating that. Gross!" when you add soy milk to macaroni and cheese.
Mmmm. Macaroni and cheese.
Sunday, February 18, 2007
Vacation... Maybe?!? Please?????
Posted by J. Denae at 10:43 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
According to the TSA web site, knittings needles are allowed on domestic flights, and international flights departing US airports:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm
(it's in the section on "makeup & personal items")
Do note that it says "knitting and crochet needles" (heh), and makes no other specifications; in other words all types should be allowed, full stop.
Having said that, I think it also says somewhere that everything is up to the discretion of the screener. I've never had a problem, but have heard (very) sporadic reports of a few people having problems. You might be prepared to put your work on a lifeline and surrender the needles, but my personal experience has been that I've had no problems at all with carrying WIPs with me, and I've flown at least a couple of times a year since 9/11.
Personally, I have heard of people having their needles confiscated, but I've been allowed to fly with my full interchangeable aluminum set. Bring an envelope with prepaid postage for your needles just in case. They'll let you mail it back to yourself, so be prepared! The last time I flew with them, the TSA said "are those knives?" I said "no, they're knitting needles, do you want to see?" He said "no, go ahead." Really makes you scared for airline security these days!!
Post a Comment