BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Sick Day

Every time my mother goes out of town I get sick.
I always feel so guilty about going to see my grandmother when I'm sick. She's old and frail and wobbly and I show up all germ-infested and try to hold my breath for the half-hour or so it takes to get her up and ready for her day.
So far (knock wood) she has managed to avoid all of my ickiness. I will continue to wash my hands obsessively and bathe in alcohol gel. Mom comes home tomorrow and I can focus my attention on not getting anyone else sick.

I am feeling better... partially because I took the day off and rested.
Sort of.

*****************************************************

Along with the resting I read the Literary Feast book, Homer and Langley. The Feast is tomorrow, so it's a good damn thing it was a fast read! It was a great book - I hadn't read any Doctorow before so I wasn't sure what to expect. I highly recommend it... it's funny and sad at the same time.

******************************************************

In between the resting and the reading I fawned over the Roto Rooter guy. Our bathtub had been slow to drain for a few weeks, but in the last day or so it had gotten really out of hand. Neither Bean nor I were able to shower yesterday because the tub was still full from the day before.
Gross.
So I got up this morning and took care of Grandma and then drove out to my parents' house to use their shower. They have just remodeled their bathroom, so it was quite an experience.
My Roto Rooter guy appeared around 9 and spent five minutes in my bathroom and viola, drainage! I thanked him, paid him, scrubbed the tub, and went back to bed.

********************************************************

At 2 I got up and put makeup on and found appropriate clothes for my interview at the VA (case manager for OEF/OIF) . I did not do any of my usual interview preparation, and given my cold and subsequent reliance on cold medicine that could have been a huge mistake. A mistake of the "monkey monkey underpants" variety.
At least I had an answer to "why do you want this job" that was not "because it's open."
It was wonderful. I was not even a little bit nervous because really? I have a job. A great job with people I love. I no longer need to feel the desperation of the process. I'm no longer sitting across from the interviewer thinking, "Pick me, love me" a la Meredith Grey. This interviewer responded really well to my responses and (as always happens with me in an interview) we ended up talking about stuff not on the list.
You know what felt good? I have some experience with this population and this interviewer had seen some of the case notes from The Vet Center. I was able to provide population-specific examples to her questions. I felt really comfortable and confident.

I'm trying not to want this... but I know these guys and I know how much they need good case managers. I know what kind of communication works with them. I also know that any door in to the VA is a good opportunity.

I am pretty sure they will be calling in a few weeks to offer a second interview. I'm also trying to not feel so guilty about that.

******************************************************

Then Bean and I went to Watermark for a reading. Mark (who isn't Bruce) called me yesterday to see if we were going. I hadn't planned on it, and I wasn't feeling well, but I'm glad we went. Attendance was low, and the author was a really charming (and adorable) guy who was funny and interesting. If I had known I would have called all of you and asked you to meet us there.
We bought his book, and I bought Audrey Niffenegger's new book.
Sigh.
Cause I needed more books...

******************************************************

My head is killing me, so I'm going to take some NyQuil and sleep.

0 comments: