I was so wrapped up in being so grown up that I forgot to post my newest readings...
So I finished Bright Lights, Big Ass by Jen Lancaster(16). Seriously. Funny. And also rings very true. I'm almost done with Such a Pretty Fat and I think she really should be my new best friend. Maybe I should reconsider not wanting to live in Chicago (because it is too big and too expensive and hi! Scary tall buildings). I also finished The Third Angel by Alice Hoffman(17)... she is one of my favorite authors. She combines some of my favorite things: suspension of disbelief and magical realism with female-centered stories of coping and loss. Sigh.
So I am apparently still hung over, despite my careful following of the Day After Diet (water, tacos, bacon and ice cream, repeat as necessary). And I spent most of yesterday in bed. I did go to the store (WalMart. With a hangover. Oy.) and I did clean some stuff... including the cat boxes and Mount Laundry. But mostly? I was just a huge, passive-aggressive slug. And STILL I wake up this morning with a headache and a sad, sad tummy and a tongue that could sand concrete.
Water. Must have water.
And look how good and prepared I am... last night I packed a salad and yogurt for lunch! Of course, this morning Sally emailed me and asked if I wanted to meet her for a St. Paddy's lunch at The Artichike (damn right I do!) so my salad will have to wait for tomorrow.
I drank a big glass of water and put on grown-up lady clothes (and makeup! It's me, in COLOR!!) because I had to talk about The Vet Center to a room full of recent hires. Joy unspeakable. I was smart enough to remember my knitting and so I sat in the back of the room waiting for it to be my turn to speak. The current speaker, Mr. Ima Bigwhig was actually pretty good and he threw VA mugs and pencil sets to people who participated and answered questions. Then he stopped and asked my name and what I did for the VA.
Here's what I did not say, "My mom has worked directly under you for at LEAST the last ten years. I have met you approximately eleventy thousand times, including her graduation where we sat together and talked for about an hour. In the five months I've been at The Vet Center I've talked to you THERE at least 3 times and IN YOUR OFFICE twice. Also? You sent a very nice plant to my husband's funeral last year."
What I said was, "I'm J. From The Vet Center. Just waiting my turn!"
No glimmer of recognition then either.
Shrug.
So when it was my turn I had no Powerpoint, no handouts, no pencils for throwing. But I also had a pretty good idea that at least three of the new hires had to go to the bathroom pretty bad (there were mostly-empty 54 ounce Quik Trip cups in front of three of the participants). So I said, "I'll be fast because after awhile these things make you want to stick a pen in your eye."
There was no laughter. Because I am not worthy of the sucking up. So I gave them the "where we are, what we do, who we serve" thing, took two questions and said, "Wow! So that's me! Five minutes left, who needs an extra potty break?"
Finally a response.
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Important! (NOT!)
Posted by J. Denae at 11:41 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Is there anything that can't be made worse by a hangover? Even Walmart?
Post a Comment