BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Clutter Rhymes with Butter

I was already having a good day, but lunch with Andie and Sally made me really happy. And not just because I had gelato (peach and lemoncello, oooooooooohhhhhh).

Now, back at work, I'm kind of at a loss. I need to finish my lit review for the BIG RESEARCH EXTRAVAGANZA, but I'm finding it difficult to make myself drag my research out of my pink floral binder. It's so pretty in there, and so organized. And also? While I love research and lit reviews, this one is sucking my will to live. It's SO depressing. (We're researching the link between sexual trauma and substance abuse in order to make a recommendation for change to a local outpatient facility. Addicts? Not my population).

I'm warm and full and happy and would much rather take a nap, or even a walk!!

There are also books to read and laundry to fold... I guess I just want to go home and hang out with Bean. It's not like I could get LESS done on this paper. Maybe if I go home to write I will actually get some housework done!!

So I was watching Oprah last night. I don't know why it surprises me that her show is good. She's not the most powerful woman in the galaxy for nothing! I forget that she really embraces things that can help you make your life better. Last night was about clutter and how to get rid of it. They seriously had my car-twin on there... they opened the wayback of her van and there was shit piled to the ceiling! And there, on top, was a 2-liter bottle of A&W Diet Root Beer. Guess what you'll find if you open the wayback of my Explorer... yup.

While I watched it I got motivated to clean off my dresser. Threw stuff away, moved books out of the room, dusted. Then I watched The Daily Show, noticing how happy it made me to have that space clean and nice.

Don't tell my mother.

I swear to Bob if she was watching I will get a call from Oprah herownself... or (horror of all horrors) the Clutter Crew will surprise me at the crack of early some morning. (Oprah or no Oprah, if they show up before 10am on a day I get to sleep in I'm slamming the door in their smug, clutter-free faces).

Sally had a good point about me and clutter: it's just not that high on my priority list. There are only so many things a gal can accomplish in a day.
But the clutter guy on Oprah said that when you allow your life to be ruled by clutter and mess you're not teaching your children to really take care of their things.

That struck a chord with me because one of the frustration points with Bean and I is that she ruins stuff by being careless (remember the Coke/Laptop problem last semester??).

I also think that the spreading mess in my house and the spreading mass of my thighs is linked together... something about taking proper care of things that are important...
Nope. It's gone now.

Oh well.

0 comments: