BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Shocky

Just outside Newton this morning my car started to fishtail on the ice. I wasn't going very fast at all, several cars had passed me already. I started to spin, each revolution showing the Coca-Cola truck behind me that much closer. I don't think I even made a sound. I had enough time to wonder if it was possible to spin completely off the road and then drive away... and I decided that no, I would probably not drive away if I spun off the road, and I would definitely not drive away if I couldn't get myself out of the way of that Coca-Cola truck.
Somehow - luck or fate - my car came to a stop facing the right way in the lane next to the lane the truck behind me was in. I pulled off the road for a few minutes, letting the truck and several other cars pass me before I ventured out again.

Newton is more or less halfway between work and home, and it occurred to me to get off at the next exit and turn around and go home... but I knew if I got off the highway just then I wouldn't be able to make myself get back on.

I knew taking a job two counties away would be tricky when the weather got bad. I knew I was going to hate the scary slow drive. And it was scary and very, very slow for the rest of the way.

I'm in my office now, shaking and drinking a lot of water. And Coke. Seriously... because the sugar is good for shock and also there is something in Coke that works for nausea.
And also because it is kind of funny.

I already told my boss I'm leaving early today - hoping to beat the late afternoon re-freeze... but the truth is that I don't want to leave at all. I don't want to get back into my car. I don't want to get anywhere near the highway.

I have a few hours to get over that feeling.

So keep thinking good thoughts, for me and the rest of the travelers today, and drive safe, kids!

2 comments:

Stacey said...

*good thoughts* & hoping you're home safe and sound by now. =)

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're safe.