BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Alas and a Lack

I did not finish my mom's sweater.

I know.

I did block the front and back, and I did get close (thanks to the fact that I was able to leave work early on the 23rd and I knitted more or less steadily for about 10 hours. Yes. That is ten. Hours). I am waiting until Saturday to say for sure - I want another pair of eyes on my measuring skills - but I think I need to buy another ball of yarn. I'm hoping that will just be for the seaming, but I have a sinking suspicion that it will also be for the button band. I'm hoping that the dye lots are similar enough that it won't matter. As a back up gift I bought her the first two of the Twilight saga books, and a big bag of Twizzlers. Her birthday is in the middle of January and I WILL have it finished by then. And a matching pair of socks... I'm not crazy, they're already halfway done.

I did finish my brother's hat, and he looks so great in it!

Christmas was nice and quiet... My uncle did finally recover and was home in time for Christmas, my sister and her kids were in Kansas City, and for the first time since my divorce Bean was with me Christmas morning. It was pretty much perfect. I was supposed to see my dad Christmas day, but he bailed. The shock was heard around the world. Whatever.
I slept a lot (more shock)... and that was pretty much it.

I know that being partner-less during the holidays depresses some people, but I found it just made things easier. This was the first Christmas in more than 10 years that I wasn't in any kind of relationship. I expected it to make me feel sad or lonely or something.. then I realized that last year I felt disappointed and alone and spent a lot of needless money on a boy who didn't appreciate it and wasn't worth it. The year before I was contemplating divorce and the year before that my father-in-law had just died.

I could go on but I won't. The point is that sleeping in and watching all of the Star Wars movies on Spike and sleeping some more really isn't so bad all things considered.

I wasn't jubilant... and I certainly was low on Christmas Spirit... but the last three Christmases have included a lot of crying and this one didn't.

So maybe my lack of partner isn't such a lack after all.

0 comments: